• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Haybox: is it worth the premium price?

Dan1

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Obviously the site has glowing reviews on it but that's hardly surprising and biased.

Who uses/used them? Rated or slated? Worth the premium price and what do you think to the pellets? I like the idea of the guinea version of a vegan diet pellets, no grains or soy, just cold pressed grasses😊

Disclaimer: I realise piggles are vegan😉 The Haybox pellets seem ultra wholesome in comparison to some junk foods pet shops flog.

Lots in here swear by haybox and think it’s worth it. I’ve yet to try them as I like where I get mine for now. I’ll probably try them in future though, who knows.

I use haybox meadow hay, Timothy hay and pellets. All three are adored by my piggies and I haven’t bought hay from anywhere else for nearly a year since i discovered haybox. The hay is always soft, fresh, green and lovely. Even my rabbit who has been a nightmare for hay pickiness over his life has stuck into haybox Timothy like there’s no tomorrow!
My two have been on haybox pellets for three weeks now. I wanted to move them to something without grains (although we were already using ss grain free), soy etc. The pellets are bigger than they were used to but they loved them straight away!
The convenience of being able to have it on subscription, knowing my next order will just turn up without any messing about is brilliant.

I like the idea of convenient single deliveries once a month after payday and thats them sorted.

I realise this is a very general question and hay should be on tap but for two adult boars of average size would 1.5kg of pellets and 5kg of hay see them though a month?

They are Lunkarya and I will be keeping on fleece as the little fluff balls can quickly become giant balls of hay detritus so no hay for bedding.

The pellets should last more than a month since they only need a tablespoon per day each. As for hay...I’d probably say maybe 10kg per month to be on the safe side. I’ve got four piggies and a 9kg will last just over a month. I’m sure you can always change the subscription if you get too much too often if that makes sense.

I like the idea of convenient single deliveries once a month after payday and thats them sorted.

I realise this is a very general question and hay should be on tap but for two adult boars of average size would 1.5kg of pellets and 5kg of hay see them though a month?

They are Lunkarya and I will be keeping on fleece as the little fluff balls can quickly become giant balls of hay detritus so no hay for bedding.

1.5kg of pellets would last several months, I had my pellet delivery three weeks ago and it’s not made a dent in the contents. They get about 8 pellets per day and that’s it. At the way it’s going they won’t need more pellets until November

It might be, but you can always get an adhoc hay delivery made if you find it’s not enough and then update your subscription. It took me a couple of times to get the quantities right.
I can’t accurately answer though as mine are also bedded on hay, they have a hutch in their shed and the hutch is basically their hay loft. I get through around 5kg of Timothy between the two piggies and one rabbit in a month for eating (piggies tend to go through more of the Timothy than the bunny does). I use around 10-15kg of the meadow a month in eating and bedding, but it’s always at the lower end in summer as they don’t have such a thick layer for bedding but they also eat a lot of the meadow hay as well. If I was providing only Timothy hay for eating, then I’d need more than 5kg per month

Last edited:
We looooove haybox! In terms of pellets to hay ratio, 1.5kg of pellets lasts my 8 piggies at least a month and usually more like 6 weeks. My 8 piggies eat 20kg of Haybox hay per month (10kg of meadow and 10kg of timothy) usually topped up with 1kg hay cookies, 1kg readigrass, and sometimes a cheaper bag of meadow hay :)

Our boys Looove hay box, they won’t eat anything else now (Divas) we have two boars and have 5kg box every 6 weeks, they are not bedded in it just have a little rack, corner box and a litter tray we still have a bit of wastage but they adore the stuff! Pepper got excited yesterday when I brought the new box over to the cage!

In short, yes it’s worth it. I still swap between hay box and dustfreehay and put them on equal measures but I wouldn’t have anything else but these two (unless one day I find better of course)

I would also recommend HayBox. I buy my two boys the Timothy hay and they really enjoy it. They’re also very good at ensuring it’s delivered between 2-3 days after ordering which is nice and quick. We also order orchard grass from timothyhay.co.uk which I use for their litter boxes and an extra hay pile and they love burrowing in it as it’s nice and soft and very green and fresh!

I have 6 piggies and have 10kg of Timothy a month. I've just tried the meadow and they love that too, the pellets are a big success, I think one bag will last us over a month, it's hard to judge at the moment as I'm mixing them with their old pellets. I buy Nature's Own meadow hay for bedding boxes as it's cheaper and there's a lot of waste as they pee in it. There's hardly any waste with the Hay Box Hay.

I have 6 piggies and a 10kg subscription delivery of meadow hay every month keeps us going. The look and feel does vary according to the time of year, but it is consistently better than other hays. I have tried most other hays and ended up with batches where the piggies would eat it and others where they would turn their noses up. I've never had to throw any Haybox Hay away.

Back