• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Head On The Other's Back A Sign Of Dominance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heer

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We've had our Guinea pig boars for just over 2 weeks and they are so cute. I've noticed that sometimes when they're playing Flynn puts his head on top of Rocky's back. Flynn is quite shy and hides at any little noise but Rocky is the more confident one so I assumed he'd be top pig. Is putting their head on the other a sign of dominance?

I'm a complete novice so no idea if it's just cute cuddles or not!

The other one doesn't seem bothered by it. I've never noticed mind doing this when being dominant, rumble strutting, humping, chinning, but not that sort of thing :D very cute.

Unless they are grumbling at each other I wouldn't have thought it dominance related, the one underneath looks quite relaxed. Never seen my boars do this, lots of pushing, shoving, and grumbling then they lie down together side by side as if nothings been going on.

Thank you They are very cute. We got them for our youngest son's birthday but we have them out on our knees most evenings when the boys are asleep! I love all the different noises they make too!

Doesn't seem anything to worry amount.

Just tagging in our behavior expert @Wiebke, incase she has any ideas.

Gorgeos piggies and a lovely picture. They both look like they are cuddling really. Dominance behaviour can be noticed by one chasing and humping the other, and vibrating and rumbling at him. Some behaviours are more subtle, such as lying down near the entrance of a hidie so the other can't get past. Ear licking an be affectionate but it is often the dominant one who will do this, I am not sure but I feel like it's a double message of "I'm in charge, but I also like you a lot"

more cuddling together for comfort i'd say. one might be nervous and the other is comforting them. or both are still a little nervous and are comforting each other. mine do this in the carrier to and from the vets, although benjie usually takes it too far and sits on mollie's head :mal: he's like 3x the size of her so i have to keep lifting him off! :roll:

Thanks everyone! Feel like I've got a lot to learn about Piggies! I haven't really noticed any dominance behaviour in that case. I have heard the rumbling/vibrating noise but I thought it was perhaps when they hear a new noise but maybe it's Flynn staking claim to the favourite bedroom. He spent the first day in there & Rocky in the hide and then Rocky joined him. They've got 3 places to hide but that one's the favourite!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back