• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Head Tilt (posted For Bread Wiggle)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi I am a new member to this site and seem to have the same problem but am after further opinions.
Our piggy had a head tilt about 2 months ago, after two visits to the vet and us deciding baytril wasn't for him as it stopped him eating we nursed him on metatone a tonic with vitamins to make him eat and recovery plus feed. He did get better almost instantly but this week the tilt has come back first intermittently and now constant and his balance has gone. We had to use a new vet as moved and she didn't have any empathy and weren't happy with her manner, she advised ear problem needs X-rays and bloods in excess of £500 we weren't sure because of her manner, how pushy she was to 'sell' us this service and also as I've not heard good things with anaesthetics and guinea pigs. We took him back to our old vet who said it could be idiopathic and may come and go, he couldn't see any discharge his ears are clean so advised nothing will show on X-ray but if it did our piggy would have to have his ear drilled another anaesthetic and a procedure the vet said is hard on cats and dogs never mind wiggles. He also explained the X-ray procedure which was scary and he continued to stress that he didn't see the need to put our wiggle through this but basically we need to support him there is nothing else they can do. As his balance is now getting worse we have tried some baytril and will monitor him but not sure what else to do as the vet can't help. Bread wiggle is very happy in himself, no loss appetite and doesn't seem to be in pain. It's just distressing watching him with no clue how to help. When bread looks at you it's like he can't focus when looking up and his head keeps rolling, he falls on his side when popcorning and just losing his balance.
Should we risk anaesthetic? 2 different vets to totally different opinions.

(PS: Location is eastern Lincolnshire)

It sounds neurological to me, am not sure what use an xray would be if so. Was he on any other antibiotics apart from Baytril for the original infection and did you finish the course of Baytril?

Do guinea pigs get EC like rabbits? It sounds really similar.....

They can do yes, treatment is usually with a worming product like Panacur.

Didn't finish the baytril as stopped him eating and made him worse next day he picked up, 6 weeks later the tilt is back now with loss of balance just stuck with what to do

E. Cuniculi is an infection caused by a parasite which causes head tilt in rabbits.

E-Cuniculi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encephalitozoon_cuniculi

It mainly affects rabbits but there have been some reported cases of it in pigs. Do you know if he was near rabbits before he came to you?

I think it is worth discussing this with your vet and also the possibility of a different antibiotic, it is not unusual for a pig to react badly to Baytril and the vet should have suggested that you give probiotics at the same time. Other antibiotics include Septrin, Doxycycline, Marbocyl (same group as Baytril) and Zithromax. Have you checked our recommended vets locator?

A stroke can also cause a head tilt but I think he would have deteriorated by now if that was the case.

Also, an infection can cause a permanent head tilt even with a full course of antibiotics but I think as you weren't able to finish the course it is worth considering another course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back