• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Head tilt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
one of my younger piggys seems to have a slight head tilt I'm poping her along to the vet tomorrow just seeing if anyone has any ideas on what it might be.

i think it might be an ear infection but not 100%
thanks

Most probably it's an ear infection, MUCH less likely the result of a stroke. Good that you have her seen tomorrow.

Best of luck!

Please also don;t rule out ear mites unles the vet has THOROUGHLY inspected for them and found them absent........(3 x ivermectin injections coupled with ear wax solution such as Virbac will sort the ear mites)

x

We are going this afternoon she seems ok still eating and drinking but is just not haveing a little trot around she would rather just sit in her little house:(.

i hope she is ok, my piggy emily had the same thing last year and it was a growth right down in her ear, my vet gave her antibiotics and thankfully they worked but her head is still slightly tilted!

Sorry can't help, but I hope she's going to be ok. Is there any chance to get her to the vet right away?

I have phoned they are really busy today but have said come in if she gets any worse than she is now .

so I'm checking on her every 10 minutes

i wouldnt chance it i would say she is worse and take her as what happenes if she gets worse out of hours ?

it will cost you loads £200!

I was about to say exactly the same thing. If it gets worse later it'll be double the price and most importantly it might be too late.
Just give them a call and say it got worse: save the pig and yourself day's suffering.

i wouldnt chance it i would say she is worse and take her as what happenes if she gets worse out of hours ?

it will cost you loads £200!

I'm going to go there in about 30 minutes as soon as the mother in law gets here to take the kids to see harry potter .

Well she has an ear infection and she on 0.1 ml twice a day of baytril and going back thursday .

they said she might always have a little head tilt bless her

Was also told to make sur she has food and water shes not taking any food from me whats the yummist thing i could give her .

depends what your piggy likes! For mine it would be cucumbe, red pepper or kale. For my last set of piggies it would have been spinach or baby corn!

Hope she recovers soon x

Ps dont forget Pro biotics :p

Ours love curly kale, parsley (a little, just as a treat, it's not good for them as regular food), apples, but pigs' tastes differ just like people's.
Please give her pro-biotics: it's necessary when on antibiotics, especially stronger ones like Baytril.
Do you have Oxbow or any other Critical Care mix for guinea pigs? If she's not eating she'll need to be fed using syringe, but I guess you know that :) don't wait for a day, it's too long, you have to feed her something all the time. Our little man refuses food every time when on antibiotics, so I give him syringe mix of critical care mix, like Oxbow Critical Care + pro-biotics to rinse the bad taste from his mouth, otherwise he doesn't eat at all. Sometimes I use home made pineapple juice (without sugar!) to mix everything, because it smells nice and he straight away starts to eat as he can't taste antibiotics any more. Maybe it's the same with yours.

Get well soon.

Last edited:
I have a piggy with a head tilt. He has an ear infection. He was born with a twisted spine. He is prone to picking up foreign bodies in one ear (blades of grass, hay etc) which have caused ear infections. Unfortunately, there aren't any ear drop licensed for piggies so he has his ear clean every day, and baytril twice daily. The vet has mentioned that he may always have a slight head tilt...apart from the head tilt he doesn't seem affected - he is more active then his twin brother (also with twisted spine), and eats very well.

I really hope your piggy makes a full recovery. And ask your vet if they supply a critical care mix for piggies...my piggies love it poorly or not :))

She is doing really good today drinking from her bottle and eating a few nuggets still not walking round much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back