• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Heart Med Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
The vet has got in 'Imidapril' aka 'Prilium'. I have not heard of this and would not have a clue on dosage. Anyone got any advice?

Otherwise he said he can get in Lotensin but in tablet form, which really isnt ideal given from the site I'm taking it 0.1ml twice daily - they have 2.5 tablets only. This is going to be impossible to get exactly 0.1 daily, not to mention try and find the right dosage for her.

Does this come in liquid form at all? Is it worth trying my other vets?

Char, what I did was make a suspension myself out of tablets. Same issue as you, I had a 2.5mg benazepril tablet and needed to give 1mg 2x daily, impossible to cut accurately.

I asked on GL and had confirmed that this is correct.

2.5mg tablet
2.5ml water

= 1mg/ml suspension

Let the tablet dissolve, keep it in the fridge. Shake it well before syringing out the dose. The solution will need refreshing every few days at most.

I have not heard of Imidapril but will look it up. The maximum dosage of Lotensin tends to be 1mg 2x daily as far as I am aware, and I have had a pig with CHF (congestive heart failure) on this.

Char, what I did was make a suspension myself out of tablets. Same issue as you, I had a 2.5mg benazepril tablet and needed to give 1mg 2x daily, impossible to cut accurately.

I asked on GL and had confirmed that this is correct.

2.5mg tablet
2.5ml water

= 1mg/ml suspension

Let the tablet dissolve, keep it in the fridge. Shake it well before syringing out the dose. The solution will need refreshing every few days at most.

I have not heard of Imidapril but will look it up. The maximum dosage of Lotensin tends to be 1mg 2x daily as far as I am aware, and I have had a pig with CHF (congestive heart failure) on this.

Thanks, I get it now! Needed it to be explained veryyy simply ")
I have replied on GL but this has made me get it. I thought the tablets might be okay to cut but this sounds easier. So dissolve one tablet in 2.5ml of water, suck up 1ml in a syringe and give twice daily...? And should I give her 0.5ml to start with and see how this goes? Or fo you recommend going right onto 1ml?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Just copying my post from GL onto here, I am a muppet.

I have just discovered I had 5mg tablets and created a 2mg/ml suspension. I did attempt what I mentioned before, dosing was easy enough but I found the 2mg/ml easier as I didn't have to syringe as much medicine into the pig. Apologies for that mistake.

5mg tablet
2.5ml water
= 2mg/ml

This means every 0.1ml increment on a 1ml syringe is equal to 0.2mg Lotensin.

Dosage can then be easily adjusted to suit. My Gwenny's dose was adjusted a number of times but she ended up on 0.5ml (1mg) 2x daily.

Ok, make sense? It took me a while to get my head around it too, you're not alone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back