• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

heat causing a lot of animal deaths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
my post lady has just been here, and said wheres the other dog, well I told her and she said you would not believe it but her german shepherd died last weekend as well, a heart attack caused partly by the heat, I urge all of you with any animals to make sure they are cool and not in any heat what so ever, with what our vets said and Sue from pets at rest said , animals are dropping like flies because of the heat, PLEASE PLEASE keep checking on them, especailly if old, I dont want any of you to feel like I do,
here on the Island its so hot we are getting numerous grass fires as well so if the heat can do that, think whta it can do for your animals,

aww that's terrible! Of course, all my lot are as cool as cucumbers (which are in the fridge!)

I think mine are OK. They have cool baths and all the windows open.

Roll on autumn. I hate the summer. I am burnt and sore.

Thats awful.

I'm constantly checking on my piggies too, they seem to be coping fine.

awwww thats trribl :( :(

I'm trying to kp min as cool as I can... I hat this hot wathr... I ont vn tan! hh

I'v bn putting frozn bottls of watr into th hutch with towls wrapp roun - Squak looks sooo cut whn I gt hom from work an sh's all chill out lying on thm - an I'v put on in th broom ara of th hutch as wll - an caus its a smallr nclos ara, its lik air con in thr! I narly got in thr with hr toay! haha Bn kping watr in th frig as wll for thm, so whn I gt hom, I chang thir bottl watr straight away, for som nic cool watr... Poor littl things in this hat :( Squaks got long hair, so I gav hr a hair cut ystray an a nic cool bath, although sh hats thm, I think sh flt bttr for it aftrwars! hh (I hop!)

I agr tho! oll on Autumn! Its too hot for vryon ::)

[colorr]x

Last edited by a moderator:
Rocky had a drastic haircut too as he is half Peruvian.

I have tried making them ice lollies with bits of veg in, but they are not interested. I have also tried draping a wet towel over the side of the run but they just ran away ;D

They do have a cold water spray sometimes, but they hate fans.

George and Mildred seem to be coping quite well with the heat so far. Yesterday though, I put a frozen 2ltr bottle of water in the hutch and by the time I came home from work it had completely defrosted :o They usually last all day and most of the night. I had to put another one in and by the morning that was defrosted too. I'm having to change the drinking water 3 times a day because it gets so warm.
G&M are loving all the attention and the extra cucumber :D

I am so so glad mine are in the new shaded shed, I really think if they were living in the old one in the location it was I would ... well I dont want to think of what would have happened. :'(

Its so much better and cooler but even so I have still had to go and get an air con unit... more for the chinchillas really. Anything over 20 degrees and they are in trouble. Last week the air temp was 35 :o, so the air con is helping them greatly. Dread to think what my elect bill will be though. >:(..but rather have that than the alternative.

I am hearing of many animals and not just pigs that have died from the effects of this heat we have. Its so awful.

Deb x

It's such a relief to not have to worry so much about them isn't it Deb? When you think of the panic we used to go through. ;D

DebbieR said:
It's such a relief to not have to worry so much about them isn't it Deb? When you think of the panic we used to go through. ;D

It is Debbie, an we both know what a GREAT PANICKER I AM ::) :D ;D. Should have a certificate for being an expert at it. ;D ;D ;D ;D

I told my daughter in law I was thinking of doing a rain dance, yesterday and we had a wonderful cool storm last night , wow that was some dance you did she said, I did'nt do it it was too hot I replied lol,
so glad you are all on the bal with this heat also keep an eye in your area for horses with no shade etc and dogs being dragged along on leads step in and say oi you want me to drag you along in this heat as well, ( just joking) but knowing you lot you might just do that,
Lucy my sons fiancee has 5 horses and she is hosing them down all the time .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back