Heat, Hormone Spikes and Keeping Things Calm! Help!

The Mad House

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I need some advice and help. I've read through a lot of the guides but I'm still not sure what to do in this specific situation and was wondering if anyone has any advice.

Cabbage got a new cage mate in the form of Badger (after Patch died). He's a beautiful curious little thing. About 5 months old and we adopted him from the RSPCA.

Things are brilliant in general. Everyone gets along and they get along with their cage mates through the bars too. Everyone is happy and popcorn and Badger does the adorable popcorning on his side thing.

Here's the problem though, Cabbage is having some hormone spikes at the moment that are causing him to be a little sod. Badger is generally very submissive and playful so he's not fussed by the odd hump, even popcorns at it and even when it's a bit more full on than usual he still takes it in good spirits.

The heat spikes at the moment though seem to be making these hormone spikes worse and they also seem to be making all four of them more rumbly.

We have a fan on for them, I've tried spritzing fleece thats hung over the cage with water (as I had recommended to me). I bought ice blocks and I've been freezing them and putting them between the fabric of the hammocks (they don't sleep on them just under them). I've trimmed them all and made sure to trim Badger and Gus (who are long haired) short. I've even separated Cabbage and Badger for the night, on the hottest evenings when Cabbage is really het up and they've been so happy in the morning to be back together. I don't want to keep doing that though.

Can anyone recommend anything to help keep them calmer? Pickett and Gus aren't too bad because they're older and Pickett is so laid back he kind of shrugs it off.

Is there anything like lavender (but not a lavender essential oil). I can use to maybe help chill them out a bit? Would a plug in work (like the ones for firework night? Is there a herb or food 😂🤔 Anything more I can do to make them more comfortable?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I need some advice and help. I've read through a lot of the guides but I'm still not sure what to do in this specific situation and was wondering if anyone has any advice.

Cabbage got a new cage mate in the form of Badger (after Patch died). He's a beautiful curious little thing. About 5 months old and we adopted him from the RSPCA.

Things are brilliant in general. Everyone gets along and they get along with their cage mates through the bars too. Everyone is happy and popcorn and Badger does the adorable popcorning on his side thing.

Here's the problem though, Cabbage is having some hormone spikes at the moment that are causing him to be a little sod. Badger is generally very submissive and playful so he's not fussed by the odd hump, even popcorns at it and even when it's a bit more full on than usual he still takes it in good spirits.

The heat spikes at the moment though seem to be making these hormone spikes worse and they also seem to be making all four of them more rumbly.

We have a fan on for them, I've tried spritzing fleece thats hung over the cage with water (as I had recommended to me). I bought ice blocks and I've been freezing them and putting them between the fabric of the hammocks (they don't sleep on them just under them). I've trimmed them all and made sure to trim Badger and Gus (who are long haired) short. I've even separated Cabbage and Badger for the night, on the hottest evenings when Cabbage is really het up and they've been so happy in the morning to be back together. I don't want to keep doing that though.

Can anyone recommend anything to help keep them calmer? Pickett and Gus aren't too bad because they're older and Pickett is so laid back he kind of shrugs it off.

Is there anything like lavender (but not a lavender essential oil). I can use to maybe help chill them out a bit? Would a plug in work (like the ones for firework night? Is there a herb or food 😂🤔 Anything more I can do to make them more comfortable?

Please do not use any essential oils; guinea pigs have very small delicate and sensitive airways.

If you can, please air the house thoroughly first thing in the morning. The lower the temperature you start the day with, the less high it can climb until evening; the current humid air is a problem, though. Also air before you go to bed for the same reason. Pull the curtains on the windows on the sunny side and hang an old bed sheet in front of any south facing windows on very hot days - that really makes a huge difference in indoors temperatures!

If you have got microwaveable snugglesafes, you can cool them in the fridge. they won't cool for as long as ice blocs but they are not as cold, either and can help bridge the time after the blocs have defrosted.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
How old is Cabbage? As long as Badger doesn’t seem to be bothered (Still allowed to eat etc) by the hormone spikes then I think it’s best you ride it out. It’s not good to keep separating as you said.