• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Heat pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi

i have bought a Snugglesafe heat pad for my guinea pigs as they live in a shed. Just wondering how cold it needs to be at night when I use it. Looks like 10 degrees tonight so I don't think they'll need it today.

thanks.

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

If we find it cold, so will a guinea pig.

If you have the snugglesafe you may as well use it. I'm sure your piggies will be pleased.

Mmmmmm lovely warm snuggly piggys. Gorgeous.

My piggies live outdoors and have been having their snugglesafes at night almost every night since the end of October. As the days become colder, I will be rotating the snugglesafes so they have a warm one 24 hours a day. Last year, they had them first thing in the morning before I went to work, then again when I got home from work and again last thing at night :)

They stay warm for about 8 hours. They stay at a constant temperature for 4 to 5 hours and then start to gradually cool down. They are well worth the money. My girls wouldn't be without them :)

Given that last winter it got to -8 at night here, mine have to wait til it drops to 3 degrees or lower to get their pads in - otherwise if I put them in when it's a mild 5-10 degrees, what do I do when it drops to -8 again?! That's just the way I see it though, comes from never over-rugging your horse too early in case you run out of thick rugs lol.

mine done have any heat pads, they just have extra straw and their huches sovers with curtains and bin bags!

Used the snuggle safe for Woody and Mickey the first time this evening. It feels chilly out there. Hope they like it, it certainly feels snug, have tucked it under their bed. I'm a bit concerned that it will only stay warm for 8 hours so therefore they might feel chilly in the early morning. I am thinking that having 2 pads might be a good idea, I could then put one in at say 5pm when the winter sets in and then put another one in before bedtime.

What do you think? Or will they need a snuggle safe day and night in the real winter months when the frost comes?

Used the snuggle safe for Woody and Mickey the first time this evening. It feels chilly out there. Hope they like it, it certainly feels snug, have tucked it under their bed. I'm a bit concerned that it will only stay warm for 8 hours so therefore they might feel chilly in the early morning. I am thinking that having 2 pads might be a good idea, I could then put one in at say 5pm when the winter sets in and then put another one in before bedtime.

What do you think? Or will they need a snuggle safe day and night in the real winter months when the frost comes?

Do your guinea pigs live outdoors?

I had 2 girls living outdoors last year and they had one snugglesafe between them at a time. When it was the depths of winter, I would give them a warm snugglesafe at 6am (just before I left for work), One when I got home around 5pm and another one at about 10pm to last them through night. I would rotate the snugglesafe so I wasn't constantly re heating the same one. At the minute, they are having a snuggleafe at night only as it isn't so cold during the day. As I now have 4 guinea pigs, I am giving them 2 snugglesafes at a time for the 4 of them to share as well as hammocks, snuggle beds and cosies.

Yes they are outdoors. I'm really pleased withbthe heat pad. I put it in at about 7pm and this morning the bed area still felt really cosy.

I think I will do as you suggest Claire and purchase another one so when it gets really cold I can rotate them. Do you wash the covers by the way?

Yes I wash the covers but if the cover isn't dry in time, I have a selection of old pillow cases that work well as covers if you put the snugglesafe inside and wrap the pillowcase around the snugglesafe.

Yes I wash the covers but if the cover isn't dry in time, I have a selection of old pillow cases that work well as covers if you put the snugglesafe inside and wrap the pillowcase around the snugglesafe.

OOOh thats a good idea... I knew they had a cover on them but i thought that was just to protect the heated pad and it was safe encase the animal ate the material by accident... but knowing you can use pillow cases or anything for it to go in...thats handy to know... as my lot pee on theres..:)) thats what you call lazyness...:)) lol

Esther x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back