• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Heat Wave and Travel

Jesss

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We're having a heat wave in the Northeast U.S. I have my guinea pig in my bedroom, which has AC (it's 83 degrees downstairs where he usually is, way too hot for him).

I leave tomorrow afternoon (returning Thursday morning) for the July 4 holiday.

I am worried that if we have another power outage (we had one yesterday), the AC will go off and he will overheat in my absence. I am also concerned that he'd be alone all that time. And I am also concerned about leaving him alone w/ the cats (his cage is covered but one cat is VERY curious about him).

I don't really have anyone to leave him with this week.

It is a 2-hour drive. Should I just bring him with me for the trip? Will that stress him out too much?

Thanks for any insights!

@Jesss Is there no chance that a neighbour or friend could pop in?

We've been having temperatures of 26 degrees C here in the UK and I've managed to keep the pig room down to around 23. I keep the windows covered and closed. That stops the sun and heat coming in.

Can you keep the cats away from him? Lock them or him in a separate room?

I can keep the cats away. I don't really have anyone to look in on him. The bigger issue is that if the AC stops working, the temps will climb way too high, even with windows shut and covered.

I would be more concerned about the lack of food, fresh hay and water for two days. That's a long time for a guinea pig. If there is a chance of taking him with you I would

:agr: in current conditions, if it were me, I would be inclined to take him with me.. provided of course that you can keep your car at a comfortable temperature, he will be ok in a cat carrier or similar for a couple of hours. Do you have a suitable cage to keep him in at the other end though?

I agree with everyone else, leaving for two days without anyone coming in and checking on them and doing their daily care is not a good thing to do, even more so in the heat. Please have a look at someone looking after your piggies or going to a boarding place.

I brought him with me (2-hr drive, he was in a cat carrier, I had the AC on the whole drive). He seemed pretty pleased to be at my mom's for the holiday (or, at least, he handled the transition new location well!)...and this morning I left him there with family/my kids to care for him (I return tomorrow to pick everyone up). I'm glad he's there for the rest of this awful heat wave. And he has people around (and they're talking to him and giving him bits of leaf lettuce and parsley).

And I agree, 2 days would have been too long to leave him alone, even with plenty of water and a HUGE pile of hay.

Back