• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Height or length

Nikki1987

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all! First post here. I'm looking at getting two piggies but not until the summer until I've done all my research first.
I had originally planned on putting them outside but feel i'll miss out on all the fun of them and I dont want to unintentionally neglect them as they are not in the vicinity to see them all the time so now I'm considering cages, I'm obviously trying to get as large as I can manage in the space so wondering whats more important if you had to pick one the length or height? The higher ones worry me a bit incase they fall down, is this common or me over thinking?

Thank you!

You definitely want to go for length rather than height. While guinea pigs are able to get up ramps they are more at home in a single story cage.

You really want to go for as big a ground floor space as you can. Some people have large cages and then build a second level.

Hi all! First post here. I'm looking at getting two piggies but not until the summer until I've done all my research first.
I had originally planned on putting them outside but feel i'll miss out on all the fun of them and I dont want to unintentionally neglect them as they are not in the vicinity to see them all the time so now I'm considering cages, I'm obviously trying to get as large as I can manage in the space so wondering whats more important if you had to pick one the length or height? The higher ones worry me a bit incase they fall down, is this common or me over thinking?

Thank you!

Hi and welcome

Great that you are doing your research first!

There is now very much a shift towards keeping guinea pigs indoors; they are not hardy and can die from the extremes of weather - both heat and cold, and also don't cope well with quick temperature swings. You'll have much more interaction and it is generally safer. You are also bound to notice more quickly if something is amiss.

Guinea pigs are ground roamers; they are not climbers. Any cage is only measured by its ground floor space for that reason.
Give your piggies as much space as you can afford to, you'll reap the rewards. If you can surpass minimal welfare recommendations, please do so!
Cage Size Guide

You may find our information collections for wannabe and new owners helpful for considering options and solutions, but you are welcome to ask any questions you have along the way. We are a friendly place and try to answer all questions as best as we can.
Are Guinea Pigs For Me? - A Guide
Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

If you can, please adopt from one of our recommended vetted good standard rescues; they are by far the safest place to get guinea pigs from that are stably bonded, fully quarantined with access to vet care/healthy when put up for adoption, guaranteed not pregnany and properly sexed and they are used to being handled by humans. Don't go for pretty looks or cute wiggly babies (which they are only for a few short weeks), ask the rescue which piggies they would recommend for a starter home, so you can build up a relationship straight away.
You can find links to lists for several countries in the guide collections.

Another very important aspect which far too many new owners overlook is the need to save up for vet care as part of their daily living expenses and to have a vet fund and keep adding to it regularly. Illness and emergencies never happen at a good time, but anything serious can quickly climb into the hundreds of pounds or dollars. We see far too many owners arriving on here with several ill or dying piggy on here that have not provided for that. I does cause major distress to the owners, but it is far too often fatal for the hapless pets. :(
There are unfortunately no cheap pets, and with an average life span of 4-7 years, you are very likely to end up at the vets sooner or later. Vet cost is making the biggest life time budget post of any pets.

Thanks for your reply. We are definitely going to rehome from rescue centres. I'm looking at insurance too to cover expensive vet costs, could defo never let a poor animal suffer because i couldn't afford it.

Definitely length over height!
I find keeping some money aside for vets bills works well; no premiums and forms as there is with insurance either! I believe guinea pigs come under exotics with regards to insurance so there’s not much Good on you for making sure you can afford vets bills in advance; so many people don’t :(

Back