• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hello and a guinea pig talk question

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

penfold118

Well firstly hi, I am new to guinea pig ownership ( about 2 months ) i am sad to admit as I am 30 ! but I am loving it...! :-) I recently joined barmy4boars but went on today and see the 2 sites have merged.

I asked this question there but didn't get many replies.

Ronnie and Reggie make different sounds, from a belly type rumble to squeaks and occasionally grind there teeth . What do all the different sounds mean ? sorry but I had a quick search but got stuck ! sorry LOL....

Hi there and welcome to the forum! :) Guinea pigs are lovely, aren't they? :)

The rumbles - do they make the sound when you stroke them on their back near the bum? This is a 'stop it, I don't like it' sound. And the teeth chattering, sometimes they do it as they are unsure about something. Other times I'm sure that they do it to be annoying! heehee! ;)

My lot do both quite often and it's rarely something to question about if there's anything wrong with them.

Hi welcome to the forum.
You soon get used to all the different noises they make. I spent my first year (i'm in my second year now) paranoid about every little noise.

Love the names by the way :)

DebbieR said:
Hi welcome to the forum.
You soon get used to all the different noises they make. I spent my first year (i'm in my second year now) paranoid about every little noise.

Love the names by the way :)

Yer tell me about every little noise they make I am up and wondering what there upto, they tend to do the rumble thing when they are in there cage starring at each other, think one of them might be trying to assert there dominance.

Wait till you have more?! I have 11 at the mo! Quite a few people on here have way more than me! :)

Hi again,
sorry you didnt get many replies on Barmy4boars... one of the many reasons the merge was a good idea! Welcome! Hard to say with sounds exactly what they mean without hearing them and seing acompanying body language. One of the things i like best about piggys is the noises they make!

Roughly though a low rumble acompanied by strutting is a dominance dance. Its them saying look at me! I am the Boss ;) Chatting teeth is also agressive. Squeaks come in many varieties, the "Wee! Wee! Wee!" wheek is saying "feed me!" and oink oink oink is happy chatty sounds, purry type sound is content, a brrrr is inquisitive... "what was that?" I think!

These links might help...

Seagulls Compedium Sounds

Squeaky-Pigs (under fun, guinea pig sounds)

and http://www.tuppambr.demon.co.uk/gpig.htm

hoping to do one myself soon... I've started it!

Barmy4boars said:
the "Wee! Wee! Wee!" wheek is saying "feed me!"

OMG my piggy must be starving all the time, he does this every time he hears my footsteps ::) I don't feed him everytime though!

Barmy4boars said:
Hi again,
sorry you didnt get many replies on Barmy4boars... one of the many reasons the merge was a good idea! Welcome! Hard to say with sounds exactly what they mean without hearing them and seing acompanying body language. One of the things i like best about piggys is the noises they make!

Roughly though a low rumble acompanied by strutting is a dominance dance. Its them saying look at me! I am the Boss ;) Chatting teeth is also agressive. Squeaks come in many varieties, the "Wee! Wee! Wee!" wheek is saying "feed me!" and oink oink oink is happy chatty sounds, purry type sound is content, a brrrr is inquisitive... "what was that?" I think!

These links might help...

Seagulls Compedium Sounds

Squeaky-Pigs (under fun, guinea pig sounds)

and http://www.tuppambr.demon.co.uk/gpig.htm

hoping to do one myself soon... I've started it!

Thanks for the links, its nice to try and work out the noises they are making to see if you are keeping them happy or not, althought I have to admit when they start popcorning it gets a little scary LOL....

Mine do it when they hear me, its not because they're hungry piggies are just generally greedy lol well mine are! my boys rumble all the time Zubins nick named rumble bum cos he just does it 24-7 teeth chattering is more Harrys thing he doesnt like other boars much so skips right to the teeth he doesnt bother rumbling, and the brr is Eddies thing he is very nervy so every new noise he brr's at and the girls sort of purr, you do get used to the noises and get to know whos making what noises i swear all piggies sound different as harry has a much more high pitched voice than zubins and eddie sounds like a 3 year old on helium lol the girls sound similar but deeper x

My guys are startin to get more comfortable with me in the room now, they used to leg it as soon as the sensed movement now they see its me and sort of hover in preparation to leg it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back