• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Hello/Help

Greyedcat

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I've had guinea pigs for most of my life. This is the first piggy I've had that has blood coming from her bum. It's Saturday and all vets are closed in our area. My daughter is spending quality time with our piggy right now, just in case, and she is heartbroken. What can I do until I can get her to the vet on Monday?

I’m afraid bleeding constitutes an emergency, she needs to see a vet. This can’t be left unchecked until Monday.

is she eating? Weigh her daily to ensure she is eating enough hay. If she isn’t eating or is losing weight then she needs to be syringe fed to keep her guts working

She's eating veggies and timothy hay, no problem, as well as drinking water. She doesn't seem to be in any pain.

That’s good, but bleeding still needs to be checked out. Piggies as prey animals, do hide their pain though

is she bleeding only when she pees or poops, or is blood coming out all the time?

Piggies can hide illnesses and pain so you can’t always know. Is there an out-of-hours vet available in your area.

Yes, has she been checked by a vet? Just because the bleeding stopped for now doesn’t mean the problem has gone away., you still need to find out why she is bleeding and address the cause

Vet said she may have had a small obstruction in her pooper. Her tummy feels fine, exam went fine. We've changed her food type that much easier for her to digest, which includes more fresh veggies, including her favorites; carrots, kale, broccoli, and grapes.

What veg were you feeding before and what are you feeding now? Please don’t feed carrot, fruits, kale or broccoli too often. Carrots and fruits are high in sugar and should be a treat only once per week. Kale is high in calcium. Broccoli can cause bloat if fed too much.

Did the bleeding stop? And how is her weight? I would continue to weigh her daily at the same time just to be absolutely sure.

Back