• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help! - Bald sore spot and red pees

smithy28

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
20200614_160455.jpgmy guineapig has this sore just above his private parts. Also peeing blood. Can I have some advice on what to do? He is eating/drinking fine as well. Thanks

That looks like his grease gland is sore. Clean it with just some water. If he’s peeing blood then he needs to see a vet, there’s nothing you can do for him at home.

That looks like his grease gland is sore. Clean it with just some water. If he’s peeing blood then he needs to see a vet, there’s nothing you can do for him at home.
I agree. What kind of blood is it? My Ziuta had thick, bright red blood coming from her behind when she had an infection. Luckily it cleared up after a couple doses of antibiotics and pain killers.

I agree. What kind of blood is it? My Ziuta had thick, bright red blood coming from her behind when she had an infection. Luckily it cleared up after a couple doses of antibiotics and pain killers.
I wouldnt say the blood is that strong in colour. Just seems like his normal wee with a light shade of red if that makes sense

Does it look brown? Urine goes a brown/rust colour when it reacts with the air. I think blood in urine is quite different. It dries as red spots in urine puddles, or forms a red ring around a puddle in a different colour.

Nonetheless I would have him checked out anyway.

Have you observed him peeing? If he is straining/squealing it could be a bladder stone. When one of my girls had a bladder stone, she would have blood in her urine that fits your description. Hopefully it's nothing too serious

I wouldnt say the blood is that strong in colour. Just seems like his normal wee with a light shade of red if that makes sense

Hi!

In this case you are likely dealing with either a bacterial urine infection or a bacterial or a sterile (non-bacterial) cystitis (bladder infection). Please have her still seen by a vet.

PS: We try our best to answer any threads, especially in this section, as promptly as we can in our free time. You can help us more if you please posted the problem in the title so you don't end up at the bottom of pile when we work out way down from the most severe to the unspecified issues that come last whenever we come on. Thank you!
It would also help us a lot if you please added your country to location in your account details (accessed by clicking on your username on the top bar) to make it appear with every post you make. This will alllow us to tailor any answer to what is relevant and available where you are straight away with just a quick glance to the left; otherwise you will just get general basic information.
We have members and enquiries from literally all over the world and from very different backgrounds/vet access etc.

Have you observed him peeing? If he is straining/squealing it could be a bladder stone. When one of my girls had a bladder stone, she would have blood in her urine that fits your description. Hopefully it's nothing too serious
No i haven't heard him squealing whilst peeing. I've checked his bedding to see if it was red but wasn't. It only seemed to have started when I got him out earlier which is strange. I'm ringing vets tomorrow first thing.

Hi!

In this case you are likely dealing with either a bacterial urine infection or a bacterial or a sterile (non-bacterial) cystitis (bladder infection). Please have her still seen by a vet.
Thank you! I'm going to ring vets tomorrow. Hopefully get antibiotics

Does it look brown? Urine goes a brown/rust colour when it reacts with the air. I think blood in urine is quite different. It dries as red spots in urine puddles, or forms a red ring around a puddle in a different colour.

Nonetheless I would have him checked out anyway.
I would definitely say its red in colour but not bright/deep colour. Going to ring vets tomorrow. Hopefully its infection and clears in couple days

Hi!

PS: We try our best to answer any threads, especially in this section, as promptly as we can in our free time. You can help us more if you please posted the problem in the title so you don't end up at the bottom of pile when we work out way down from the most severe to the unspecified issues that come last whenever we come on. Thank you!
It would also help us a lot if you please added your country to location in your account details (accessed by clicking on your username on the top bar) to make it appear with every post you make. This will alllow us to tailor any answer to what is relevant and available where you are straight away with just a quick glance to the left; otherwise you will just get general basic information.
We have members and enquiries from literally all over the world and from very different backgrounds/vet access etc.
Okay thanks

Back