• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Help, Fleece Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank288

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So after giving up with the micro fleeces, I have now been to the range and brought 4 of their polar fleeces. I have seen the fleeces I have got in a few of the members pictures so I know that they should work. I am still having issues with them being waterproof even after being washed tons of times. I have washed them twice at 60. 4 times at 95 degrees. I have also tried washing with vinegar, with washing powder and without. I am literally at a loss as to what I am doing wrong.
This is the wash powder I am using: http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webs...s-d1-_-asdacom-dsk-_-hp#/product/910001427561 it is baby sensitive washing powder.
2 of the fleeces have started to absorb in tiny patches but only as a single layer and will not absorb if I fold It over. I am also laying the fleeces over 2 towels as the absorbant layer to soak up the water.

Can anyone suggest anything else? I am now at an utter loss.

I'm surpised - I was under the inpression polar fleece was OK after a few washes.

I recall someone saying it has a right side and wrong side ....

I'm not sure. Certainly double-layering (folding over) is not a good idea with fleece but everything else seems ok.
I have found though that some fleece works better than others.

How much space do you need to cover? VetBed is a good alternative BUT it is thicker, meaning you can get less of it into a washing machine. I have both, and I like both, but certainly not all fleece is created equal x

VetBed is also expensive to buy, however it washed well assuming it fits into the machine, dries quickly and you don't have to mess about with towels or anything else underneath. It cuts to shape and has enough stiffness for it to sta in place well without the need to clip it down with anything. It is also long lasting. I have had my vet bed pieces for over 1 1/2 years and they are still in great condition.

I needed to buy something bigger for our new cage (160 x 80) so went for vet bed on ebay. I had used it for my guineas years ago and still had a couple of old bits I tried out in the 120 cage first and loved it. Was very surprised when it arrived the new stuff is ever so much thicker than it used to be more like a carpet. It only just goes in the washing machine so can't put it in a duvet cover to save hay going in machine, hoping it will fit better if it softens up after a few more washes!

How odd, I got a polar fleece from primark and it was fine after 2 washes

Try doing a cycle with white vinegar and nothing in the washing machine, it's meant to clean it out. Don't know if that will help but it's worth ago. I did have problems like you at first, but I changed my fleece supplier and no issues, two washes and done. I don't know why though. I hope you manage to master the art of wicking lol.

Hope you get it sorted. I am hoping to make some cage liners this week using fleece and incontinence pads... i have purchased some more expensive fleece which doesn't seem to ' wick ' as quick as the cheap ones from B&M!

I buy Asda's cheap and cheerful fleece, only available in plain brown or red. It is found in the home section(with the sheets and bed-sets), rolled up,and between £3 and £5 per roll depending on whether it is on offer. It was fine after two washes, seems to work folded over as well as it is quite thin! I have had some for quite a long time, and it isn't wildly expensive to replace when it does wear out. Not the most pretty fleece as so plain, but if it is just getting poops and wee on I don't mind at all.

I get mine from b&m or dunelm, never had an issue either, maybe it is just this particular fleece you have? I wash mine twice to start on 60, I use regular washing powder capsules from aldi, always non bio though. I buy extra big ones so in can fold them in half and they still work good!

I have been washing with no washing powder as that was the advice that I was first given. I have now tested them in someone else's washing machine so I know it is not my machine. I am going to clean the washing machine and try again. I have been washing on 95 degrees but it is on the cottons section do you think this would matter? They had started to get there but then I washed with washing powder and they were more waterproof than ever. I am going to keep going otherwise I have waster £35. Just don't know what I am doing wrong, when everyone else has got theirs to work.

Ahh no you have to use washing powder! This, without added fabric softner, strips the waterproof layer off and allows the pee to wick through. If you did not use any detergent then I'd say this is where you went wrong :)
Btw, never add softner at any point x

I get mine from b&m or dunelm, never had an issue either, maybe it is just this particular fleece you have? I wash mine twice to start on 60, I use regular washing powder capsules from aldi, always non bio though. I buy extra big ones so in can fold them in half and they still work good!
What washing powder is it that you use? I have baby washing powder from asda but I might try that one from aldi but they do a lot of different ones. Is it the almat tablets or the liquid capsules?

Thank you so much everyone for your help. @gogoguineas I got that washing powder from aldi, it worked a treat and my fleeces now wick, double layer and all. I am so happy :yahoo: (which I feel so sad about). Now to prepare my new hutch ready for the girls. Thank you again, I couldn't have done it without you all. :luv:

Glad you got it to wick.. I am having similar probs with one fleece, typically a more expensive one.. I use Fairy non bio so not sure why this one isn't cooperating ! Washed it about 8 times now!

Sorry @Hank288 I didn't see your other post, yes almat liquid capsules! I always have non bio cos my skins a bit funny with washing powder, I get the blue & white tub or green triple action capsules x

I actually got the powder tablets and that worked really well, I shall be sticking to them for washing my fleeces from now on. Going to try my other stubborn lot of micro fleeces tomorrow. See what happens but just really excited to finally be able to get them into their new house.

Definitely, very frustrating! I used to have those, bought a new washing machine and these now don't crumble up properly because the drawer on my new machine is so small!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back