Help getting used to new double story cage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi guys

We got our piggy a double story cage in preparation for her friend who arrives on Saturday, as well as to give her some extra space. She's loving the extra room and seems very happy but we haven't been able to coax her up the ramp to the top level. I have laid out some hay along the ramp to try to entice her but no dice. Can anyone offer any pointers on how to get her to use it? Last night I put her on the top and she wouldn't walk down the ramp either.

The cage is your standard pet shop double story cage with a wooden ramp going from top to bottom, the cage is about 95cm high I think. Any advice would be welcome.

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i have a double tier cage with a ramp up the middle. I put sides on it and covered the floor with something that isnt slippy, you can use carpet or fabric? My two werent very keen on going up it until it had sides.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Try laying a trail of veg come dinner time!

It can take piggies a few days to get to grips with ramps.

Reaction score
I have temporarely put card on the sides..and fleece on the ramp..they sniffed for a while but now they dart up and down them :)

Reaction score
Photo-0147-1.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, those are great suggestions, I'll look into getting it covered this weekend. I must say I am so excited to get her a friend this weekend, my partner seems to think we won't stop at two :) he might be correct! lol

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i dont think you will stop at two either :))

Also, they will be mental when there are two, really really good fun :))

Claire1973

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I bought a ramp tunnel from a website called "cosy cavies" - you measure the ramp and the lady will make you a custom tunnel made from cotton and fleece ( come in lots of colours and patterns!) Then you just use self adhesive velcro to attach it to the ramp! :)) If you are handy with a sewing machine you could make one maybe? You can wash the tunnel in the washing machine and it has supports built into it to hold it up - my piggies love it! :))

Status
Not open for further replies.