• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help! Guinea Pig Leg Issue. Possible Break? Not Sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diego&Ferris

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My pig doesn't really walk, he hops while only using one hind leg. the leg drags and sticks out to the side.
Just noticed it today. When I move the affected leg he doesn't cry or squeal.
Not sure what is going on. Any ideas!?

Thanks!

Maisy and Poppy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I agree with PiggyOwner. Phone a few vets and describe what you are seeing. Then I would chose to book a slot to come in with your piggy with the vet who sounds most competent. Good luck!

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I agree with the others, only a vet can diagnose, he may need an xray if you think it could be broken. They can also have dislocated legs, my friend has a pig whose front leg was dislocated and had to be put back in place and even now it sticks out so looks like he is waving.

He may need some anti-inflammatories for pain relief too.

Other reasons for bunny hopping could be a vitamin deficiency or a bladder stone but that does not usually make the leg stick out or drag on the floor.

Last edited:

Dindypig

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Please get him to a vet asap. He will not admit he is in pain (being a prey animal) It may not look painful but be assured that it is, he will not drag a leg unless there is a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.