• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help! - Guinea pig not eating

Here is our advice on GI stasis. Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating

Please be patient. If your boy is eating, then this means that the gut is working again but more slowly at first. You have to sit out the period when the internal conveyor belt has stopped and not been loaded (with your boy hardly eating) - that gap will show up later in the poo output. A piggy will really fight food when they can no longer process it for some reason (stasis, blockage, bad pain, the need to breathe overtaking all other needs, organ failure), so if they are eating, it means that you will poos again once the increased food intake has been properly processed - which takes about a day or so; two if the gut has slowed down quite a bit. But just the act of eating more willingly means that your boy has started to process his feed again because he can do more than just breathe and his gut has started working again. :tu:
oh okay, thanks for letting me know! :nod:

the guinea pig pooped! it isn’t solid though, what does that mean?

That means that your piggy didn't eat enough and had a bit of a tummy upset from the GI stasis when it hit; it is perfectly normal to see funny poos coming out at first once the gut gets going again. What you are seeing right now is the debris from the damaged zone when the internal conveyor belt hung up.
You should see the poos gradually normalising and getting thicker over the next day as the syringe feed is more and more reflected in the output. ;)

That is the reason why weighing on the kitchen scales is so important - that tells you what is going on RIGHT NOW.
The poo output can only ever tell you what has happened a day or two before but it is very much running behind events. In your case, it is only proving that your vet has got it right with their diagnosis and that the stasis 'gap' on the conveyor belt is now over.

That means that your piggy didn't eat enough and had a bit of a tummy upset from the GI stasis when it hit; it is perfectly normal to see funny poos coming out at first once the gut gets going again. What you are seeing right now is the debris from the damaged zone when the internal conveyor belt hung up.
You should see the poos gradually normalising and getting thicker over the next day as the syringe feed is more and more reflected in the output. ;)

That is the reason why weighing on the kitchen scales is so important - that tells you what is going on RIGHT NOW.
The poo output can only ever tell you what has happened a day or two before but it is very much running behind events. In your case, it is only proving that your vet has got it right with their diagnosis and that the stasis 'gap' on the conveyor belt is now over
ohh, thanks for the info

Aww I hope he improves soon.. keep up the good work

update:
he has a loss of appetite again. :no:
this is his last day of antibiotics, and he’ll barely eat anything but celery. should i start syringe feeding him again after his last dose of antibiotics? the vet told us not to force the food, but right now he’s looking in rough shape. :(

If he isnt eating hay then you must start to syringe feed straight away (Don’t wait until his last antibiotic dose).
Syringe feeding during a period of loss of appetite is not the same as force feeding but supporting them via syringe feeding is essential literally to keep them alive.
Please continue with daily weight checks as it is the only way to know he is getting enough hay and/or syringe feeds.

If he isnt eating hay then you must start to syringe feed straight away (Don’t wait until his last antibiotic dose).
Syringe feeding during a period of loss of appetite is not the same as force feeding but supporting them via syringe feeding is essential literally to keep them alive.
Please continue with daily weight checks as it is the only way to know he is getting enough hay and/or syringe feeds.
oh okay, thanks

How is his weight looking?
This is always the most accurate way to see if a guinea pig is eating enough.
He needs to be weighed daily at the same time, but if he is showing a continual loss across several days you need to step in with syringe feeding immediately.

A probiotic (also mention previously) can help a lot - is he taking one yet?

How is his weight looking?
This is always the most accurate way to see if a guinea pig is eating enough.
He needs to be weighed daily at the same time, but if he is showing a continual loss across several days you need to step in with syringe feeding immediately.

A probiotic (also mention previously) can help a lot - is he taking one yet?
no, he isn’t, this the 3rd day of syringe feeding critical care, loss of appetite, not drinking water, and not pooping. I'm syringe feeding him water

What are his daily weight checks showing?
How much critical care is he getting per 24 hour period.
If he isn’t pooping, then he isn’t eating enough.

Definitely try a probiotic. The antibiotics can wipe out the gut bacteria and the probiotic can help settle that

What are his daily weight checks showing?
How much critical care is he getting per 24 hour period.
If he isn’t pooping, then he isn’t eating enough.

Definitely try a probiotic. The antibiotics can wipe out the gut bacteria and the probiotic can help settle that
he’s been getting 30-35 mL of critical care a day. his weight checks have been looking normal. where can i get a probiotic?

And he definitely isn’t losing weight from day to day?
30-35ml is the lower end of the daily intake but getting something into him is vital if he isn’t eating for himself .
How long since he last pooped?

Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

you can get probiotics online or usually from some pet shops

Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

What did the vet say was actually wrong with him (For him to need the antibiotics)?
no, he isn’t losing weight. he last pooped 2-3 days ago. the vet said he had an upper respiratory infection and mild gi stasis, that’s why he got the antibiotics .

That’s a long time ago. I would get back to the vet and particularly ask for gut motility drugs

That’s a long time ago. I would get back to the vet and particularly ask for gut motility drugs
oh ok, i’ll get him back to the vet. usually wait time is a few hours, ill see what i can do. at my petsmart, there’s a oxbow digestive support for small animals, should i pick it up while waiting?

oh ok, i’ll get him back to the vet. usually wait time is a few hours, ill see what i can do. at my petsmart, there’s a oxbow digestive support for small animals, should i pick it up while waiting?

I wouldn’t bother, I think he needs a medication.

Back