• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help! I don’t know what to do!

Jadessa1

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Please help! I don’t know what to do. There are no vets in my area that take in guinea pigs, I can’t go out of town since I can’t drive.

I noticed my guinea pig a little over 1 year old sitting in the corner on February 14 around 6pm. (2 days ago.) she was alert and moving around alittle.

what I did when I noticed:

-I took her out and check for any injuries. There was none that I could see, besides seeing what I guess was diarrhea since it was smelly and kinda of looked like dark orange and missing one top tooth that she lost a few days ago.
-I ended up washing her butt with warm water & baby Johnson soap. Then I put her in a clean cage by herself with clean water, food, veggie, hay and kept an eye on her. She did take a bite out of some lettuce but nothing else.

- the next morning around February 15, 5:30am, she was still alert and moving around but She didn’t eat or poop all night. I tried to give her favorite apple, she smelled it & went to grab it but slowly walked away without eating it.

Now I knew something was wrong! To give her vitamin c, someone recommended the child life vitamin C, the store didn’t have it, so I had to order it, which gets here on Friday!

-I decided to syringe feed her. It seem to help. She was grabbing and looking for the syringe for more food. I did this every 1 hour and half till 12:00am. I went to bed and left her with wet pellets in a bowl. (No veggies, only hay)

-as soon as I woke up today, February 16 11:00am I went to check on her. She wasn’t moving only laying down. Almost every few minutes she would shake her body side to side! When she tried to walk it looked like one leg wasn’t moving. She not yelling in pain or making any sounds when I touch it or pick her up.

Please help. Any advice?
-breathing looks & sound normal.
-moving side to side,
-eyes are dull
-no crust on eye or nose
-inside mouth is light pink/purple, doesn’t smell
-no injuries, grandfather thinks one leg is swollen

I’m afraid we can only advise you to have your piggy seen by a vet. We would only be guessing at what is wrong but we’re not qualified vets nor can we carry out a hands on check.

Is there someone that could drive you to the vet?

I’m afraid we can only advise you to have your piggy seen by a vet. We would only be guessing at what is wrong but we’re not qualified vets nor can we carry out a hands on check.

Is there someone that could drive you to the vet?
At the moment, no one is willing too. Do you have a guess of what this might be?

As said we can’t guess from your description and neither are we replacements for a vet. Have a look at the link below and see if you can get your piggy seen by one of them.
Guinea Lynx :: GL's Vet List

Please help! I don’t know what to do. There are no vets in my area that take in guinea pigs, I can’t go out of town since I can’t drive.

I noticed my guinea pig a little over 1 year old sitting in the corner on February 14 around 6pm. (2 days ago.) she was alert and moving around alittle.

what I did when I noticed:

-I took her out and check for any injuries. There was none that I could see, besides seeing what I guess was diarrhea since it was smelly and kinda of looked like dark orange and missing one top tooth that she lost a few days ago.
-I ended up washing her butt with warm water & baby Johnson soap. Then I put her in a clean cage by herself with clean water, food, veggie, hay and kept an eye on her. She did take a bite out of some lettuce but nothing else.

- the next morning around February 15, 5:30am, she was still alert and moving around but She didn’t eat or poop all night. I tried to give her favorite apple, she smelled it & went to grab it but slowly walked away without eating it.

Now I knew something was wrong! To give her vitamin c, someone recommended the child life vitamin C, the store didn’t have it, so I had to order it, which gets here on Friday!

-I decided to syringe feed her. It seem to help. She was grabbing and looking for the syringe for more food. I did this every 1 hour and half till 12:00am. I went to bed and left her with wet pellets in a bowl. (No veggies, only hay)

-as soon as I woke up today, February 16 11:00am I went to check on her. She wasn’t moving only laying down. Almost every few minutes she would shake her body side to side! When she tried to walk it looked like one leg wasn’t moving. She not yelling in pain or making any sounds when I touch it or pick her up.

Please help. Any advice?
-breathing looks & sound normal.
-moving side to side,
-eyes are dull
-no crust on eye or nose
-inside mouth is light pink/purple, doesn’t smell
-no injuries, grandfather thinks one leg is swollen

Hi!

I am sorry, but you need to see a vet as soon as possible.

Have you stepped in with weighing daily instead of once weekly as soon as your girl was looking off and have started to support feed fibre once you noticed she wasn't eating? Please be aware that over 80% of what a piggy eats in a day is hay, hay and more hay. So when there are very small and few poos, it means that your girl hasn't much or anything in the last day.
If your girl is refusing to take on food much more vehemently than in proportion to her weak state, it may be that she is no longer able to process food and that her body has started to close down. Guinea pigs can unfortunately go downhill very quickly but we cannot tell you what from or what exactly is wrong with her without a hands-on vet examination.

Please take the time to read these guides here. They contain all the necessary vital information:
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

Fingers VERY firmly crossed.

Yes, thank you.
I have been syringe feeding her, which she is eating. And I have also put tiny pieces of hay inside of her mouth that she slowly chews. She is peeing but no poops yet.

Unfortunately your piggy desperately needs to see a vet. Will no local vets see her at all? I would start ringing round and if they say no then ask if they know of any local vets who might be able to help. It does rather sound like an emergency

Yes, thank you.
I have been syringe feeding her, which she is eating. And I have also put tiny pieces of hay inside of her mouth that she slowly chews. She is peeing but no poops yet.

If she is eating, it means that the gut is still working, so you will see poos in due time. Please be aware that it can take 1-2 days for them to make their way through the gut.

If your girl is chewing very slowly and is not picking up hay, then the mouth should be looked at for dental overgrowth at the back (which you cannot see). The grinding teeth at the back can grow spurs; otherwise, sudden loss of appetite is very often caused by a pain issue somewhere in the body including inside but the list is very long.

Back