• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Help I think I made a mistake!

FalieH033

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Okay so I have a male crescent guinea pig named G, he got super smelly like his pee and it was just horrible, I’m pretty sure he had laid in his pee corner in some point and that caused it, it was horrible I couldn’t even sleep because the smell was so potent from him. I do not have any guinea pig shampoo so I called an exotic vet and she had said to just wipe him down with a wet cloth with a drop of dawn dish soap, but now I’m kind of freaking out because what if he get a rash or something happens. Help?!

I don't know Dawn Dish Soap but I am sure if your vet said it's okay it's okay. If you only wiped him with a damp cloth rather than bathed him and saturated him with it, I doubt it got down to the skin through the hair to create a problem anyway. If he is smelling that badly you need to look at what you are bedding him on and how often you clean him out. Pee corners need changing regularly, if he is lying in his own pee he is going to get urine scalds on his feet. My young boars are bedded on fleece with vetbed pieces in the sleeping/peeing corners. My older pair of boars have a large piece of vetbed covering the whole cage as they pee all over the place and don't have specific spots. Vetbed wicks the wetness through it and locks it in underneath into whatever absorbant layer you put under it (I use puppy pads and newspaper) so is brilliant for keeping piggies dry. Keep an eye on your piggy and if you are worried ring your vet again.

I
I don't know Dawn Dish Soap but I am sure if your vet said it's okay it's okay. If you only wiped him with a damp cloth rather than bathed him and saturated him with it, I doubt it got down to the skin through the hair to create a problem anyway. If he is smelling that badly you need to look at what you are bedding him on and how often you clean him out. Pee corners need changing regularly, if he is lying in his own pee he is going to get urine scalds on his feet. My young boars are bedded on fleece with vetbed pieces in the sleeping/peeing corners. My older pair of boars have a large piece of vetbed covering the whole cage as they pee all over the place and don't have specific spots. Vetbed wicks the wetness through it and locks it in underneath into whatever absorbant layer you put under it (I use puppy pads and newspaper) so is brilliant for keeping piggies dry. Keep an eye on your piggy and if you are worried ring your vet again.
I was watching him like a hawk I have him walking around freely right now just to see if he’s okay, I only wiped him down with a cloth and I use wood shaving bedding but I am trying my hardest to find fleece because I really really want to get some of that bedding instead, I change his bedding every two days, but I had to wait an extra two days to change it because my money came to me late. And he smelt horrible which I felt so bad and I still do that I made him wait. I am just so scared he is going to get sick or something is going to happen to him. He’s been sitting in this one spot for about ten minutes now when usually he’s running around roaming, I’m just so so so scared he’s going to get an allergic reaction, or something is going to happen. I only wiped him/rubbed him lightly with a semi wet washcloth and literally only two drops of dawn. And I dryed him with a towel for about ten minutes making sure he’s pretty dry but I looked at him and his neck is still damp and it just worries me so much because of their weak immune system. But my exotic vet said it would be okay but then I look at forums just to double check after doing it and everything is saying it’s going to dry out his skin and it’s not good...I’m so scared I just hurt my baby.

If you are using wood bedding you can take out the worst of the wet patches and spread the rest over the space. I don't think rubbing him down with a damp cloth and that soap is going to hurt this once. Years ago we didn't have special piggy shampoos, I used to use baby shampoo on my guinea pigs which is now very frowned upon but they were fine. It's very easy to sit and watch them and get yourself worried over behaviour that you wouldn't normally notice, try to relax. He will soon dry off if your room is warm, don't let him get cold. I am sure you haven't hurt him really try not to worry.

If you are using wood bedding you can take out the worst of the wet patches and spread the rest over the space. I don't think rubbing him down with a damp cloth and that soap is going to hurt this once. Years ago we didn't have special piggy shampoos, I used to use baby shampoo on my guinea pigs which is now very frowned upon but they were fine. It's very easy to sit and watch them and get yourself worried over behaviour that you wouldn't normally notice, try to relax. He will soon dry off if your room is warm, don't let him get cold. I am sure you haven't hurt him really try not to worry.
I was actually thinking about using baby shampoo but I had notice it was very frowned upon, but they’re skin and hair is so much like baby’s because they’re so delicate. So I called the vet and they said dawn dishsoap, I have been freaking out with anxiety (and it’s pretty bad because I have an anxiety disorder) watching on him and just freaking out, so yeah like you said it’s natural for me to freak out. I was given him almost a year ago by someone who gave him to me and he was very neglected before and most definitely never experienced a bath so I am thinking that’s why he’s acting strange. In a few weeks I am going to invest in piggy shampoo for these occasions so I don’t worry. He’s acting a little more normal so I am thinking he’s okay but I am definitely going to keep a very close eye on him tonight to make sure he doesn’t start scratching or sneezing.

Dish soap? That seems like a terrible idea to me. I'm sure baby shampoo would be much better for a one off bath.

Do you just have the one piggy?

If he continues laying in one spot and being less mobile I would take him for a vet check up. It's unlikely to be because you didn't clean the cage for 4 days. However there are health problems that can cause them to do this or to wee on themselves more, especially if you don't know much about his background/age. If he is prone to getting a dirty bottom then you can buy hibiscrub and dilute a small amount in water and use that to clean him. I do this with 1-2 of mine every week after my vet suggested it for Donald to prevent him constantly getting infections due to him always being a bit dirty

Dish soap? That seems like a terrible idea to me. I'm sure baby shampoo would be much better for a one off bath.

Do you just have the one piggy?
Yes I only have one pig but the exotic vet recommended it

I
If he continues laying in one spot and being less mobile I would take him for a vet check up. It's unlikely to be because you didn't clean the cage for 4 days. However there are health problems that can cause them to do this or to wee on themselves more, especially if you don't know much about his background/age. If he is prone to getting a dirty bottom then you can buy hibiscrub and dilute a small amount in water and use that to clean him. I do this with 1-2 of mine every week after my vet suggested it for Donald to prevent him constantly getting infections due to him always being a bit dirty
ive always kept up on his cage that was the first time I ever didn’t keep up with it

I

ive always kept up on his cage that was the first time I ever didn’t keep up with it

That's fine but I am still inclined to think that it is coincidence rather than the cause. Leaving a day or two extra really shouldn't lead piggies to being dirty like that. I could be wrong though.

Yes I only have one pig but the exotic vet recommended it

Are you planning on getting another? It's important for piggies to have another for company.

I'm happy to be proved wrong, but that really doesn't seem like the safest idea to me.

Are you planning on getting another? It's important for piggies to have another for company.

I'm happy to be proved wrong, but that really doesn't seem like the safest idea to me.
Sadly, G was three and died very late Wensday night. I am planning on in a good few weeks after healing from this (this is the first pet I’ve ever lost, either than hamsters I had when I was like...five... and a beta fish I had for four years, but I was too young at the time to understand and form a true connection and bond with the animals unlike now) getting a guinea pig who will be loved just as much as G was. Hopefully maybe I will get a guinea pig who was just like G, just to know he’s reminding me he was grateful for me as much as I was grateful for him.

Sadly, G was three and died very late Wensday night. I am planning on in a good few weeks after healing from this (this is the first pet I’ve ever lost, either than hamsters I had when I was like...five... and a beta fish I had for four years, but I was too young at the time to understand and form a true connection and bond with the animals unlike now) getting a guinea pig who will be loved just as much as G was. Hopefully maybe I will get a guinea pig who was just like G, just to know he’s reminding me he was grateful for me as much as I was grateful for him.

Sorry to hear that. They do need company though, so when you're ready a pair would be better.

Back