• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help I’m confused

J_Alvarez

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I have a guinea pig and I’m new to this but I’ve been looking at him for a while and I notice he is breathing kinda fast idk if it’s a upper respiratory infection he act normal and everything he eats and runs around but he breathe kinda fast if so do you people know any vets that I can take him to I live near Elgin if you people know any places I would appreciate it.

jrascon

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I am in IL as well I would go to a vet just to see I’ve had guinea pigs who’ve had an upper respiratory infection that turned into pneumonia very quickly and ended up passing away. I went to the Colonial Manor Animal hospital in Homer Glen, they were great! That’s pretty far from Elgin though so I’d just do a search for any vets that take guinea pigs in your area. It’s good that he is still eating normal though!

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Guinea pigs do have a high respiratory rate but if you are concerned then you do need to see a vet
Is he showing any other symptoms of a URI?

J_Alvarez

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I don’t believe so he eats probably and is always active I’ve always checked up on him closely and he looks fine it’s just the breathing that concerns me