• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help! Just Adopted Our Pigs And One Has A Giant Sore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Critique

New Born Pup
Reaction score
we just adopted 2 awesome pigs from friends of ours. One had a very swollen hind quarter and yesterday it seems to have burst open.
It is quite vile looking but seems way too big to be an abscess or a cyst.
Not sure what this is or what to do. IMG_0850.JPG

It could be a cyst or abscess,I've seen them that size. Give it as best a clean as you can, keep it on very clean bedding and take it to the vet tomorrow. They'll check it over and give you antibiotics and pain relief.

If it doesn't stop bleeding or it's really causing pain you might have to take the financial hit and go to an emergency vet tonight.

How is he/she acting?

Not really in a place to afford a vet visit.
She acts like it isn't even there. No pain, lets us pet her, eats like a pig.
We use the CareFresh 99% dust free natural paper bedding.
The folks we adopted them from also placed puppy pee pads under to help with cleaning, but we found they tend to pull it up and chew and we figured that wasn't good.
Read something about being able to use human neosporin and some 50/50 mix hydro-something to keep it clean....
If you look close, it looks like a tumor that came out.
Worth noting, there is no odor which we read helps differentiate between abscess and cyst.

Oh gosh I would take it to a vet asap. Is there no way someone coukd help you with the cost for now? x x

That guinea pig needs to be seen by a vet, no question.
Even if she (he?) is acting fine, the wound needs to be properly treated.
If you can't afford the vet then maybe you should approach the people you got them from.
If you have only had them for 24 hours then the old owners should help with the bill (or pay all of it) as the guinea pig was obviously unwell when you took her on.

That does not look good. :no::no::no: Guinea Pigs are very good at hiding pain and illness. Take her to the vets as soon as possible. It needs to be treated properly. It looks like it needs a good flush out too. If left for any length of time it could become very nasty indeed. Is there anyone who could help with the cost?

I too would advise a vet visit as the longer it's the left the more costly it could turn out to be and the higher chance of a deterioration in the piggy. Guinea pigs are excellent at hiding pain until it's too late and if they have only recently been adopted then an M.O.T. wouldn't go amiss. Bathing the wound in salt water to prevent infection would be a good step and make sure she doesn't bite or scratch it.

@Critique An overall health check, like a car MOT. Pigs are very good at hiding an illness so I always like to take a new pig for a checkup when I get them, and at least once a year, again like a car gets it's MOT once a year.

Just a general check up to be sure nothing is amiss. I belive Vets for Pets (though not the most cavy savy) have reasonable prices and I think that they have a free consultation when you first sign your pet up with them. A general health check for a piggy usually costs around £20. It is only expensive when the drugs etc come into it.

@Critique Unfortunately something that size is going to need a vet visit even if you don't want to go immediately.

As you adopted the pig in this condition then I really don't think it's unreasonable to ask for financial assistance from the previous owners if you can't afford it yourself.

I agree with all the others, she needs to see a vet asap :( If you cannot afford the vet bills then please find a reputable Rescue near you that will take her in & look after her. An infected wound could be fatal to her otherwise.

Ouch that really does look quite nasty, I think I even see some bedding in the wound? I agree with the others that it needs a good flush out by a vet and perhaps something to help lessen the chances of infection and aid healing....and pain killers too most likely.

If you are having trouble with the vet fees please discuss possible options with the previous owner. As you only just adopted this guinea pig it would be nice if they can contribute even a little bit for treating this issue. A lot of vets also offer the option to break down a payment into installments to make it easier to manage.

Looks like we will be starting with filling a bowl with salt water and giving her a bath to soak out the wound first and see what's under all that nastiness.
I'm sure this won't make many folks here happy, but while we are very responsible pet owners, we weren't seeking pigs. We re-homed my dog when we moved in together a couple weeks ago (after 2 years and hundreds of $$ trying her Doberman was not going to get along with my golden...long story) and the friends that wanted her 'asked' us to take the pigs in exchange. We (and the kids) researched guinea pigs for a week before saying yes and between the 5 of us the pigs are quite spoiled with a very nice cage and tons of fresh vegetables and occasional fruit as well as plenty of floor time and an outdoor playground fence.
My thing is that for a pet that cost $19us at the pet store that we just got a week ago, I'm hesitant to blow hundreds of $$ when I can just get a new one for $20.
Had this been a year from now, I would certainly feel differently...
Anyway, guess I'll wash her off and see if I can get to the skin and see how bad this is and repost.

Can you update your profile with your State/Province please if you are not in the UK ? I appreciate that vet bills in the US are extremely expensive :( Unfortunately as the new owner you are responsible for her so to prevent her suffering you need to get her seen by a vet as soon as possible, that wound will either become infected (if it isn't already) or get bigger & will be causing her pain :( As I said, if you are unable to pay vet fees then either get her previous owner to take her for vet treatment as it is unfair of them to expect you to pay the costs, or surrender her to a Shelter/Rescue or at least contact them for advice.

I'm sorry but irrespective of the circumstances that Guinea pig needs to be seen by a vet urgently, no ifs no buts. If you cannot afford this then you need to rehome to a suitable rescue for proper care. As for your second to last sentence, I hope I misread/ misunderstood this as I cannot fathom how you can make this statement.

Oh my word. A salt bath? May I just suggest you create a nice open wound taking up the majority of your backside then try sitting in a bath of salty water. How painful would that be?

I do hope there is a reputable rescue in your area that you can take this poor girl to. Your last post suggests you consider that she is disposable so I think the best thing you can do for her is to give her to someone that will give her the care she deserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back