• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help! Lice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norah

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I got a guinea pig last week and i've noticed little brown things in his hair, when i got him they were already there, but i thought it was just his fur that was like that, then i contacted a vet because i got a littlw concerned since they were getting more and more, so the vet told me to wash his fur with dawn or dreft so the lice will stop reproducing and most of them will dry(the dish cleaners), and then come in first thing on monday to get hair drops! is it okay to wash his fur with dreft or dawn? I'm afraid it will hurt him!

I have not heard of that being used before and would hold off until you got to the vets. It sounds like the vet is intending to give you Spot On. Please can you update your location in your profile as it will help us help you.

Could you also confirm the age of your pig.

Hi, thanks for the feedback, I'm located in the caribbean, on an island named curacao. I got my guinea pig last week and he is around 3/4 months old

Hi, thanks for the feedback, I'm located in the caribbean, on an island named curacao. I got my guinea pig last week and he is around 3/4 months old
I wouldn't use the dawn as they are pretty strong soaps meant to remove all the grease etc from dishes and may remove the natural oils in your pigs' hair- I think it would cause more irritation that good... Good luck with the vet!

Ok, I would definitely hold off on what the vet has suggested and ask them about a veterinary specific shampoo for lice, or even ask him about headlice shampoo (in the UK Lyclear creme rinse is suitable but all shmapoos should be patch tested for 48 hours behind the ear and should not be used within 48 hours of any spot on treatment).

Is it Revolution or Stronghold you have been given? I don't have any experience of these products but think they are commonly prescribed in Canada and the US. It may be worth asking on Guinea Lynx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back