• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Help me please:'( I'm desperate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
How do i convince my mum that guinea pigs can live outside She says she doesnt like them living outside but i really want to get one and there is no space inside?

I know [*]everything[/*] necessary about them and have [*]LOTS[/*] of info, but she says she doesnt like the idea of having it live outside. There is no space inside and i would buy a cover for it and give it more hay and extra padding in its bedroom in the winter:/ she also says I have too many pets, that is only because i love Animals SOOO Much:'( I have a hamster, fish, And share the family dog(i feed it and look after it most though) PLEASE HELP. As i have wanted one for the past two years.. With NO Luck.. :'( :'( :'( </3 :0:0

First of all, I think your mum is talking a lot of sense. Guinea pigs are delicate little animals who don't do well in the cold. They need warmth, no draughts and shelter. Think about it - in winter this year the temperatures were below -10 - would you like to live outside with just a jacket and a heap of hay? Would you be willing to sit out and interact with your piggy in the snow, pouring rain and freezing cold? Because you can't bring an outdoor piggy indoors to play in the winter.

Guinea pigs also need friends so getting "one" isn't a good idea either. I hope you stick around but remember she is less likely to listen to you if you nag ;)

If she agrees i was going to buy two, i have read lots of info on how to keep them warm in the winter, and i have a friend that has tried these methods and have her guinea pigs have a warm winter, i would try to make space for them inside if i could but obviously i would have to buy it myself. Its only march now and my birthday is in june, so if she agreed i would get one around that time. It would be a bit warmer then. But she doesnt like the idea of them living outside at all:/ Thanks for your reply though, you still helped me:)

I agree that your mum is talking a lot of sense. I know you want a guinea pig. I did for a very long long time but when the time was right i got some and you'll find that you'll have loads and loads of time for them. Having a piggie outside means lots of cleaning out and time spent outside, rain or shine. Just remember that all pets bring a lot of responsibility. I understand you want piggie but now might not be the right time.

x.

If she agrees i was going to buy two, i have read lots of info on how to keep them warm in the winter, and i have a friend that has tried these methods and have her guinea pigs have a warm winter, i would try to make space for them inside if i could but obviously i would have to buy it myself. Its only march now and my birthday is in june, so if she agreed i would get one around that time. It would be a bit warmer then. But she doesnt like the idea of them living outside at all:/ Thanks for your reply though, you still helped me:)

and i mean buy the cage for them if i moved some things around btw:/ x

Hello, I understand your mum's point of view and she's right to an extent! It would be very hard in the winter for them to be outside, piggies don't do well with very cold temperatures or fluctuating temperatures either.
You would also have to be prepared to go out multiple times a day no matter the weather to check on them and feed them, spend time with them etc.
I know it's not what you want to hear lol I read that a lot of people that keep theirs outside keep them in a shed, usually insulated and heated.
Mine are inside and I know if they were outside they wouldn't get so much attention as I wouldn't be walking past them all the time outside and it wouldn't be so pleasant to sit with them in bad weather!
I know you really want one, but I'm 26 so I had to wait a long time for the right time to get my piggies!
Do stay around here though, there's so much to learn on this site, and it'll be really useful for when you finally do get your piggies!x

Hi I think that points people have raised are right I would hate to be outside in this cold also I think a large part of the charm of having piggies about is watching them my little boy used to live in my bedroom ( I know some people will think this is a little strage) When I lived at home and as soon as I walked into my room he used to start eeeking! and if you kept yours in the garden I think you would miss a large part of what having a piggie is really about.

I have to say I do agree with your mum. Sorry.
I think if you have a shed for them to come in and out of it isn't so bad. I know a few people here have their piggies outside but I'm not too fond of the idea.
I think that if they live outside, they really need to have a shed as a base because a hutch just isn't going to cut it...Look at the winter we just had, I don't think a hutch and some plastic covering will protect them from that.

That being said, I know a few people here who had their piggies outside over the winter and had some very great ways to keep them warm and as far as I know, it worked but it's never really ideal.

If you are set then you must make sure there's a place in your garden that is draught free. I don't know about hutches being in shade or sun, though. You'd have to look that up, I don't like having animals outside, so I've never really checked up on it.

i 100% agree with your mum. as has been said look at the winter we have just had. To have an animal living outside in that snow with just a bit of bedding in my view is abuse. I'm sorry i know its not what you want to hear.

Thank you for all replies; I now TOTALLY agree and have seen sense. I will ask her again soon if i would be allowed to keep on inside, in my bedroom. But because i am only 11 what ould they do in the day, do you think if i bought a run with a bedroom compartment and put them in that outside they would be okay. as i have seen lots of runs like this and i think they are Adorable. but what do you think. i have a schedule planned and think it would be suitable for a guinea pigs life. If anyone wants to see it, i will copy&paste it onto here. x>>

Thank you for all replies; I now TOTALLY agree and have seen sense. I will ask her again soon if i would be allowed to keep on inside, in my bedroom. But because i am only 11 what ould they do in the day, do you think if i bought a run with a bedroom compartment and put them in that outside they would be okay. as i have seen lots of runs like this and i think they are Adorable. but what do you think. i have a schedule planned and think it would be suitable for a guinea pigs life. If anyone wants to see it, i will copy&paste it onto here. x>>

I am going to get two by the way. x i have researched and have realised they are MUCH better in pairs or more. :) and if my mum agrees to an indoor guinea pig, i will buy all of its required items rolleyes

Is there no way you could arrange your bedroom slightly, or another room?
I'm currently saving up money to get a pair of pigs also, but because my room is so small, I'm having to wait until my sister moves out so i get a bigger bedroom. I agree with your mom really, its very very cold for them.
Be paitent, respect your moms wishes to an extent!
My mom said absoloute no at first, but now she said i can. I said i'll offer to pay for everything, look after them as i already do with my other animals, but then she said, ''they smell!'' but i told her, i will spot clean every or twice aday so they wont and she's agreed now! :) Just use tactics!

- I'm pretty sure (but not certain) that you can't keep moving pigs from inside and outside, you have to keep them in one place most of the time. And you cant just have a playpen thing in the garden! What if a fox comes along, or a bird of prey? If you mean a 'Run' thingy, even then, i think theyshould be supervised, its irresponsible to leave them out their all day.
If you get a pair like you said - they will amuse themselves all day, of course you'd need to add things to the cage, a few toys, hidey houses etc. Most of the people here work throughout the day, just like me (14) and you go to school! Don't worry, not every single bit of your time has to be devoted to them.This is why its so important to get pairs! or more of course, their herd animals, like horses, who really appreciate another of their kind!:)

I've been waiting since christmas to get them and like i said, finally i can, it just takes time :)

Last edited:
it was sorta the over way round for me, my mum didnt want my piggies to go in my room though she also didnt want them to get cold outside so we were going to put them in the shed, but then i told her how it would be better for them in my room and they would be able to see me more, so now they are in my room. I know how you feel though as my friend just got gerbils and i am in love with them x) But my mum says we have to many pets(which i under stand seeing as we have a dog, 2 cats, 2 chickans, fish and my three guinea pigs rolleyes) but this means that everytime i go and see the gerbils i will enjoy it more

You shouldn't put them in a run in the garden unsupervised either, anything could happen whilst you aren't there. Mine tend to be very quiet through the day, and then in the evenings they're all go! If you have a suitably sized cage for them and plenty to keep them entertained, along with adequate hay and water they will be fine. Just make sure that they get the floor time they need in the evenings :)
That's a good thing too agreeing with your mum! That will show her you have the maturity to listen to other sides and use that information to influence your decision.
As you're only 11 it would be a good idea to read through the health and illness section of the forum to prepare yourself for the common problems guinea pigs face and make sure your mum is aware as I had spent £80 in vet fees after just two weeks for my boys, your mum will have to pay any fees so it's important you are both aware of this :) Hope this helps!

I am waiting to get my piggies and they will be outside in a large hutch - however I will be bringing them in for the cooler months, my house has heating but is not overly warm all the time, I also have the luxury of a porch that I can put the hutch in to keep them warmer then to outside again. I will also be lining the bedroom to make it cozy for them, everything possible will be done to make them comfy.

I also will not be using the run while I am at work - when I get one. I have cats and foxes about round me and I would hate something to happen when I am not there so I will allow them some grazing time each dry day supervised and on my days off I can spend a little more time with them to keep them happy.

I am 33 and waited years to get my first dog, then had piggies a few years later, went back to one dog and am ready to have them again 4 years later, its not something I have entered lightly into and have always had more than one pet in my life.

when i lived with my mum i had the hutch in my room. when i came home from work/school i would let them out to run about my room, supervised of course. Maybe you could do the same! Just make sure there are no wires and things they can hurt themselves on. Oh and go to a rescue not a pet store :D

when i lived with my mum i had the hutch in my room. when i came home from work/school i would let them out to run about my room, supervised of course. Maybe you could do the same! Just make sure there are no wires and things they can hurt themselves on. Oh and go to a rescue not a pet store :D

Thats what I'm planning to do, I'm going to buy some grids and make a playpen and let them have access to their cage and the playpen throughout the evening :)

I partly agree with your mum, but partly disagree as my pigs do live outside in summer.

At the moment they are all in my conservatory and get heat pads when it's chilly though. My sister has allergies so they can never come fully inside the house, but the conservatory is a very good alternative.

It is hard work keeping pigs outside in winter, I know a couple of forum members do so and it take a lot of hay, a lot of bedding, a lot of covers and a lot of dedication to spending time with them. As was pointed out earlier, you can't bring outdoor pigs in for long periods of time for cuddles etc, then pop them back out, as the shock of the temperature change is too much for them - the change is worse than staying cold, as it shocks their system.

If keeping them indoors, remember a lot of the cages online and in the shops that say are ok for two really aren't I'm afraid. Another reason mine are outdoors is I can get bigger hutches for them than indoor cages, and having a cat who is very good but still at the end of the day a cat, I could never have open C&C cages.

You sound like you're taking the time to do your research well :) just remember pigs can live up to 8 years, which would mean they would hopefully still be with you when you start your GCSEs etc. - this takes up far more time than you will ever realise now, so please make sure you consider if you will have time for them for their whole lives, not just the next couple of years. I lost my last 'childhood piggie' just before I started my final year of GCSEs and in a way it was better for us all, as I was so busy working and going out with friends etc. it wouldn't have been fair to her. When I was 20, and had a stable job, and got bored of going out boozing, I got Whiskey and Noodles, and now I am 25 and earn loads (well, a bit) of money, I can afford all 9 of mine and spend time with them...at the expense of my patient OH lol.

You sound like you're taking the time to do your research well :) just remember pigs can live up to 8 years, which would mean they would hopefully still be with you when you start your GCSEs etc. - this takes up far more time than you will ever realise now, so please make sure you consider if you will have time for them for their whole lives, not just the next couple of years. I lost my last 'childhood piggie' just before I started my final year of GCSEs and in a way it was better for us all, as I was so busy working and going out with friends etc. it wouldn't have been fair to her.

Don't underestimate (is that the right word? :^- ) how much work you may have to do for your gcses! I've just started a few months ago, and I'm litreally exhausted already, god help me when it comes to sixth form! mallethead:{

Lol

You remind me of me when I was 12, trying to convince my mum.

It worked.

lol! Wheather wasnt a **** for us, in our sunny country with no snow in 35 yrs. Work out a great plan, save up money, print cute photos and good info out, choose a good pet shop our breeder, and give your mum time. If you know you have a good plan, annoy her into checking out a local petshop. secretly bring a carry cage, and find the cutest baby Piggy in the shop. My mum fell in love with my firstie, Twilight. R.I.P. :0 Remind her that The animals you have are easy enough to care for, I can manage 2 GPs 2 Dogs and a cat with good grace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back