• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Help my boys are stressing me out........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have 2 guinea pigs all boys,they used to live together until one needed a op and had to stay in doors for 3 days when i put him back with the other one they started fighting one of the boys mouth was bleeding so they are both on there own now but they look so sad and lonely and i really would like them back together but i don't want the fight i had last time, if i put them next to each other there is a lot of clicking teeth and bum swagging
as well as a high smell of poo, has anybody else had this problem if so can you let me know what you done to help your boys get on, this is really stressing me out as i really don't want them to have to live on there own it's wicked when they are supposed to be herd animals.

You could try giving them both a bath and introducing them again on neutral territory and if they get on okay then put them into a scrubbed out and fresh cage. I would still keep a towel handy but you never know, it may work.

I had a similar problem when J had to spend the night at the vets once. When I put him back with the others, one of them picked on him - his cuts were so bad he could barely eat. I separated them straight away and he lives happily on his own now. I tried to reintroduce them but it was obvious that the relationship was over. His brothers have since died, but he's got my little ones living above and next to him so he's not completely lonely (they all live on their own, but can see, smell and squeak to each other - I've got no reason to believe they're unhappy from their behaviour).

I haven't managed to successfully reintroduce boys that have fallen out, although I've heard from many sources that it can be done. I'm sure you'll find info on reintroducing pigs somewhere in the forum.

You could try putting them in the same hutch/cage, but with a mesh divider. This way they'll be able to be with each other and interact but not get to each other to cause any harm. I've also heard that bathing pigs together helps them to bond.

Good luck x

I too have brothers that will not live together. I have a 'Berlin Wall' between them.
This wall is mesh, so they can see each other. I've used it with most of my boys related or not. If they appear to be bonding over time I give them a bath together and then bring in to supervise them. If it works, the Berlin Wall come down but they have their own beds bottles and bowls until I find them totally together (ie; sharing)

I have 3 pairs, none related.

So far the brothers haven't bonded :red I should have called them Cane and Able!

But they are still adorable

I have 2 guinea pigs all boys,they used to live together until one needed a op and had to stay in doors for 3 days when i put him back with the other one they started fighting one of the boys mouth was bleeding so they are both on there own now but they look so sad and lonely and i really would like them back together but i don't want the fight i had last time, if i put them next to each other there is a lot of clicking teeth and bum swagging
as well as a high smell of poo, has anybody else had this problem if so can you let me know what you done to help your boys get on, this is really stressing me out as i really don't want them to have to live on there own it's wicked when they are supposed to be herd animals.

My advice would be keep them apart as after a certain amount of time being separated, its difficult to reintroduce a pair together again. Trying the bath technique is something a lot of people advise but very rarely makes a difference but there isn't any harm in trying, as long as you're on hand to remove one. The cage they had been in will smell more like the one who was left in there, and if that one wasn't the dominant one, he will now claim that as his own territory regardless of his old cage-mate's status before. This is a sad thing for some owners but only if they make "attention" calls (whistling as high pitched as they can) will they feel distressed about it. If you can't afford to get them new younger cage-mates, (younger boars are easier to pair with older boars) then they must stay lone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back