• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dental Help my sick Piggie eats very little hay

Yin

New Born Pup
Reaction score
But nothing about how abrupt her reply was to myself? Its hard to read emotions and I felt that she was judging. And just to also explain that i rang all the vets and specified Guineapig care and the 'exotic' vet told me twice his teeth were fine...... sorry, its been really stressfull week for me as I thought I was going to lose him and hes not out of the woods yet.....

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I don’t think her post was abrupt, she just asked a question so she could be clear what you had written. Words can change meaning when written and are up for individual interpretation, but I don’t think there was any rude intent behind them.

As long as he’s been seen to that’s the important thing now. You will have to try and let go the issues that didn’t help. At least you have found a good vet now. Hope he starts feeling better soon and can come home.

PS please can you add your location to your profile (county will do) so we don’t have to keep asking and looking for it.

Yin

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Yes I will thank you. I just didnt have time to figure it out....... I will look now

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I will thank you. I just didnt have time to figure it out....... I will look now
Click on your username on the top bar, go to account details. Location is the first item in there. It really does help us if you added your country, state/province or UK country or large city. Please do not go any more detailed than that for you own protection and to not force us to waste time by googling for villages at the other end of the country that we have never heard of...

Please take a deep breath and make sure that you get some rest and sleep. It is always tough when you are worrying.

Guinea pig dentals are not something that features on any vet's curriculum unfortunately, exotic or general. The demand is growing for more piggy dental savvy vets everywhere around the world... Guinea pigs and rabbits have been unfortunately for too long been considered short-lived children's pets, not worth spending a fortune on, and they are still only starting to really emerge from that and being taken more seriously as species in themselves. But knowledge is still lacking and research is lagging far behind compared to larger pets, which can be frustrating. :(
PS: The best cavy dental vet in the UK is located in Northampton.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
My comment was not abrupt and I certainly didn’t intend it come across that way, It was merely a question wondering what the rescue did as all you said was that they sorted it.
I hope he recovers well

furryfriends (TEAS)

Forum Founder
Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Director at TEAS (East Hunsbury) Northampton
My comment was not abrupt and I certainly didn’t intend it come across that way, It was merely a question wondering what the rescue did as all you said was that they sorted it.
I hope he recovers well
Your comment wasn’t at all abrupt. My concern is that it sounded like the dental was carried out by someone who isn’t a vet. However, I may have misunderstood that.

Yin

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I'm sorry if you misunderstood my post, although now I feel youre ganging up on me? It has been an incredibly emotional time for myself and Bill and we simply couldnt get ourselves to Northampton no matter how good they are. Yes dental was carried out by a qualified professional and she has looked at his teeth again today. I'm confident I have found the correct person eventhough they are an hour away I am updated about his care. Thank you everyone for the helpful posts

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I hope that he is improving and will soon be back to his usual sprightly self. Did the vet say whether his dentals will be an on-going thing?

We are not ganging up on you. We all understand how trying this period has been for you both. As I said before, words can often be misconstrued when written and not being exchanged in person.

Yin

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you for yoru
I hope that he is improving and will soon be back to his usual sprightly self. Did the vet say whether his dentals will be an on-going thing?

We are not ganging up on you. We all understand how trying this period has been for you both. As I said before, words can often be misconstrued when written and not being exchanged in person.
Thank you for your kind words. Yes words always hard to read emotions and i think it didnt help I was already a mess. She isnt sure about on going yet it depends on when he starts to eat properly. I'm planning on visiting tomorrow so I'm sure we can have a proper discussion but I am well prepared for regular visits...... just miss them so much... cleaned out the habitat bought fresh hay and bedding even new water bottles......

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
He will hopefully be home soon with you. Enjoy the visit and cuddle ❤ hugs

Gadzy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi @Yin I have been going through a very very similar situation with my young sow. The vet did a consultation and said teeth were fine and was I was worried that I needed a second opinion. She continued to not eat her dry food and only greens really. The vet then said she would want to sedate her to have a proper proper check in her mouth to make sure she hasn't missed anything as when their sedated you can have a proper check up. How the teeth line up when more relaxed etc and any spurs missed. Her teeth were fine, but she noticed a white plaque at the back of the throat or mouth which would give similar symptoms of a dental issue. I had a quick scan over of the thread. Has your vet sedated and checked the mouth properly? Perhaps mention fungal issues or thrush to your vet. My vet while she was sedated took x-rays of her bladder and stomach too. Have you tried your piggy on fresh grass? Because mine still absolutely woofed grass. I also gave her some syringed pro biotics which I don't know why or how, but it helped.

Yin

New Born Pup
Reaction score
P.S I just read that a rescue found something with his teeth... What was wrong with them? @Yin
Thank You Gadsy. Bills teeth were overgrown at the back and because the 2 vets I had taken him to had missed this it just got worse..... I was given the wrong advice about his eating .....I even had a video of him trying to eat his veggies and was advised that he will eat when he feels better..... I feel so incredibly guilty I feel sick..... one vet even sold me worming meds and gave me a probiotic to sprinkle on his food.... i did buy some fiberplex somewhere else cause that powder just didnt work for me.....

Bill has now stopped drooling and we're hoping its a good sign...... just waiting for him to recover. He is interested in his food but just cant chew it 😭 he lost 200g from his average weight but that has stabilised now with syringe feeding and blending veggies. The nurse is really really good I actually want to marry her 😂 I just hope he can get back to his normal self and we can put this behind us