• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

HELP - nailcut went wrong

Pop some flour on it to stop any bleeding...

Corn flour if you have some - pop some of that on it... I think I used regular flour when I cut it bad once ... dont panic...

She isn’t bleeding, should I put a bandage or something like that to cushion her toe while she is walking?

View attachment 113985
I was cutting my pig’s nails and she moved. I AM SO WORRIED. What do I do!

Make sure that the bleeding is stopping within 10-15 minutes. Keep an eye on your piggy that the toe is not getting infected; it will be a bit swollen at first. Keep your cage well poo patrolled and cleaned in the first couple of days. The exposed quick will dry out and shrivel up, but will grow back with any new nail.

Whether and how the nail is growing back depends on how badly the quick and the nailbed have been affected. A nail may grow back thick and deformed.

Thankfully, it is not going to affect your piggy's mobility.

These things happen to any owner at some point, so take a deep breath please and don't feel guilty!

PS: We try to answer any question as promptly as we can. You can help us more by putting in the title what the problem is.

If she'll let you cut off the hanging bit of nail so it doesn't catch, bleed or pull off any further then try it. But don't if you think it'll make it worse or you're afraid of breaking the thin 'quick' layer & making it bleed.
It looks like the quick is still intact which is good & the nail has pulled away from it.

But make sure she's kept on a soft clean surface for a few days to make sure it can't get damaged further or infected now it's out in the open. At least it's not bleeding that's another bonus in your favour.
Why do they always wiggle when we have scissors or nail clippers in our hands?! Xx

I know i'm late but, I hope she will be ok and I agree with everyone else keep her cage clean and cushioned. :)

Back