• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Help Needed Asap!

3 Musketeers

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello all! its been a while :nod:

As some of you may heard of the major snowstorm arriving in ireland, it brings concerns for my piggies.

The storm is coming from the easy apparently, and that hits straight on where i live, wicklow.
I have my piggies in a hutch outside, and i know its not acceptable for me to leave them out there.

I have a small box which definitely isnt the best but I'm planning to put hay food water bedding ect and their pigloo inside, I'm concerned is this alright/acceptable?
I'm only planning to do this at nighttime, but if it gets worse I'm going to have to resort to other things :rant:
So, opinions/advice? :san::san:

Just bring them in best you can. Maybe portion off a section of your room and make it piggy safe?

If you have a bath you could pad the bottom with fleece and pop a couple of hideys in there for them.

When I had outdoor piggies, I remember it got down to -9 one winter. I ended up making them a house in the bath as I didn’t have any room for a cage

But if this is isn’t an option for you, just do the best you can. I’ve heard people keeping their piggies in cat carriers in emergencies

Hi all! thanks for your wonderful advice, sadly dont have a bath and shower isnt appropriate for piggies.
Ive brought them into a box they have food and water, but are in a awful frenzy, I'm trying to bring them out sometimes to let them have a run but they are scared :td: Hopefully they calm down, but for now they run around and jump ontop of eachother, especially my ginger boy ed.:flag:I give up,:flag:

Hi all! thanks for your wonderful advice, sadly dont have a bath and shower isnt appropriate for piggies.
Ive brought them into a box they have food and water, but are in a awful frenzy, I'm trying to bring them out sometimes to let them have a run but they are scared :td: Hopefully they calm down, but for now they run around and jump ontop of eachother, especially my ginger boy ed.:flag:I give up,:flag:

You’re doing your best under the circumstances. I’m sure they will soon settle down

You poor thing! You're doing your very best, small box is better than being out there! I know it's a struggle for everyone to bring their pigs indoors if there's no space but it's definitely got to be done, it's like an ice age!

If you wanted to give them a bit more space, you could put down a plastic table cloth, cover with a blanket or something suitable, and arrange boxes and bits and pieces round it to create a makeshift run for them, and put them back in the box at night.

Update: Storms hitting soon, and its Emmanuel apparently too, what did i do to deserve this weather !
Boys have settled in, i threw a small old thin blanket over the top of the box and doubled it, leaving a wide gap for air.

I took them out and gave them food and let them settle, i improvised with room by putting a small top of a flask full of food in the corner, their water bottle is at the wall and inside a space in the box, so they have everything.

Lots of cuddles i got, allergies acting up, but piggies have settled in and are drinking water, which ive taken for a good sign because they tend not to eat or drink when nervous.

Hopefully they are all okay in the morning, and they haven't argued :no::mal:

Back