• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help needed (scabies mites problem)

kolaji

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello all, a couple of days ago I went to the vet with my piggy and he injected him with anti Scabies mites medicine. We are supposed to come back in about two weeks, it’s been a couple of days from that visit and he hasn’t been improving much. Please give any further advice you might have I am hopeless. He has been eating and drinking as normal but he has been jumping a lot from the discomfort and scratching himself because he has Scabies mites and it’s unpleasant. He lost almost all of his fur from his back and has what seems to be a dandruff on his skin

Hello all, a couple of days ago I went to the vet with my piggy and he injected him with anti Scabies mites medicine. We are supposed to come back in about two weeks, it’s been a couple of days from that visit and he hasn’t been improving much. Please give any further advice you might have I am hopeless. He has been eating and drinking as normal but he has been jumping a lot from the discomfort and scratching himself because he has Scabies mites and it’s unpleasant. He lost almost all of his fur from his back and has what seems to be a dandruff on his skin

Hi!

Please be aware that it takes about 2 days for the ivermectin or selamectin in the injection to get to work. In a more severe case, the first round will not bring total relief and just an improvement for some days over the coming days. You will find that the discomfort increases again towards the end of the second week.
A full mange mites course consists of at least 3 rounds of injections or spot-on but may take 4-5 rounds to get on to top. Injections are more effective than spot-on so your vet is doing the exactly the right thing.

It is unfortunately very frustrating in the case of mange mites (trixacarus caviae) because there is nothing else you can do. Your piggy is getting what really works already and there is nothing you can hurry things on.
The good news is that the mites are not so bad that your your boy is fitting or losing weight from the discomfort so as he is now on the correct treatment, he will make a good recovery. Be patient but make sure that he is getting the full 3 rounds! Once the dead skin has been shed and the hair grown back he will be fully fine again.

Many guinea pigs have mange mite eggs sitting in their skin. they are usually kept under control by a fully working immune system. It is only when the immune system is either not fully working or under stress that mange mites make an appearance, like in new young highly stress piggies whose immune system is not yet fully developed when they are separated from their mothers and siblings, transported to shops and sold into the totally alien world of a pet home; pregnant/nursing sows have their immune system working for more than themselves and are also more liable to come down hard with mites, as do the elderly whose immune system is no longer as strong and flexible. Recovering piggies or piggies with underlying health issues can also be more prone to opportunistic parasites and illnesses.

If you your boy is newly bought, you can reclaim any vet cost from the pet shop.
More about mange mites and your customer rights in this guide link here: New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites

I hope that this helps you?

Back