Help - opinions needed PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

pippinskyblue

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have concerns and would really appreciate help/advice from anyone. Someone I know has 2 female guinea pigs which live inside, she said they were too noisy and wanted to rehome them so I agreed to take them in as I have 4 female guinea pigs myself and have had up to 13 before. My partner was due to bring the piggies to me today, the lady who was getting rid has now decided to keep one pig and let me have the second one. My concerns are that the one she is left with may fret for her cage mate, and may not eat, may get stressed and lose her fur and just generally be unhappy, I am guessing that although the piggies live indoors that they are not handled much, so the one which isleft is going to be lonely. However, the one that comes to us will have company of my other piggies. The 2 piggies in question have been together since they were born and are now nearly a year old. Am I just being silly? I am on a time scale here as my partner is due to leave his place at 11.30 this morning and the lady in questionhas already taken him the guinea pig in a box!
PLEASE HELP!

sandra turpin

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That's horrible and not fair on the other guinea pig. I would think he would fret and be lonely without his friend. Try to get her to change her mind, explain that an unhappy piggy could become ill resulting in costly vet bills x

pippinskyblue

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We have tried that one but she is INSISTING that the other one will be fine, I will feel guilty if I take in the 2nd one and leave her with one. What shall I do?? From experience I know the one she keeps will be lonely as last year I had 2 pigs together and one died of old age and the one which was left did nothing but sit huddled in the corner of her cage and after a few days was very withdrawn, I went and got 2 babies to put with her and she picked up instantly, sadly She died 4 months later of old age she was 7.

sandra turpin

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I wish I knew what to suggest. Even if you don't take the other one she will probably give him to someone else. She obviously isn't a true guinea pig lover who has the best interests of the piggy. I'm feeling really sad thinking of the left behind piggy :(

sandra turpin

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You could leave your details and ask her to call you if she changes her mind. Maybe she will notice the difference in the piggy and realise that she was wrong.

pippinskyblue

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I know I'm really torn, She should keep the 2 or let me have the 2, I dont want her to realise she has made a mistake when hers gets ill, stressed or whatever and decide she wants the other one back. My daughters get really attached to all animals and would be upset to have to give her back. Do I refuse to have the one?

sandra turpin

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If she would keep the two if you refused the one then I would definitely refuse the one. It's whether she would give one to someone else. I was more thinking that if she realised she had made a mistake she would let you have the lone piggy, not take the other back. I don't like the idea of her realising her mistake due to hers being sad and lonely either. What a difficult situation to be in.

I wish someone else would reply and maybe give a more helpful opinion x

pippinskyblue

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
She lives a few doors away from my other half in Gloucestershire, he comes to me at weekends so he could always bring the other one to me or take this one back. My concern is thou that if the one she keeps goes quiet (which she will) then this lady had got what she wanted a quiet piggy, she may not realise its because she is unhappy!

CiaraPatricia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That's so sad :(

Maybe if you say to her that you can't just take one, and ask her what she would do, would she give one to someone else, or would she keep both, if you wouldn't take just one on its own.

It's very strange, she wants to rehome them cos they're noisy but now wants to keep one. :(

Maybe tell her that one on its own will be way more noisy cos they're lonely so they squeak all the time really loudly, a white lie won't hurt :)

lauralucy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i would be very tempted to say the piggies need to stay togetehr so she either keeps both or gives you both and see what she says.

pippinskyblue

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks Sandra, yes I value your help and opinion but it would be nice to have other replies also.

I was perfectly happy to take in the pair!! My gut feeling is she hasnt had guinea pigs before and doesnt realise how vocal and socialble they are.

pippinskyblue

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks Laura, we have been trying to persuade her for nearly a week to either keep the 2 or let me have the 2 but she just wont give in!

pippinskyblue

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yes I love to hear my piggies squeak and purr, I know they are happy then, mine live indoors from oct to april and outdoors in the warmer months, and I can honestly say my piggies are really happy!

pippinskyblue

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score

CiaraPatricia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yeah I would think about saying, "It's cruel to separate them, they'll pine for each other and stop eating. I can either take none or take both" and see what she says.

If she says then you can't have either and she'll give one to someone else, then you can always change your mind and take the one.

But she might just agree to let you have both.

Or she might be left with one pig that she will probably find boring, since on her own she won't do much, and she'll probably get sick of her :( but then might hopefully give her to you. It's so hard to know what to do

sandra turpin

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My piggies are in a 4ft by 2ft cage right next to our sofa in our small living room. I wouldn't even say they make that much noise other than when there is food on the go. Our budgie is much noisier :)

pippinskyblue

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Funny that because I told my O/H to tell her the lonely one will get noisy to try n get her to change her mind. I'm gonna ring him n see what the current situation is and hes due to leave in 10 mins or so

Status
Not open for further replies.