• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help! Piggy Has Eye Infection And Is Losing Fur Around Eye?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayl88

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I bought my guinea pig a month ago (born January 2015) and in the last week I noticed some white crust-like growth around one of his eyes. I haven't been to the vet yet as it costs quite a bit of money and inconvenient for me (out of town college student) so I want to go only when my other options are exhausted. A friend told me it is ringworm and recommended this cream (
Horse Health Ivermectin Dewormer Paste
), what do you guys think?

This white crust causes his skin to be rough and lose hair. Otherwise his appetite and behaviour is fine.

Pictures:
Thanks for all your help!

He needs to see a vet.I wouldn't recommend any kind of treatment without a diagnoses.Especially near the eyes.It could make the problem worse and end up costingv you more money in the long run.

That is NOT an appropriate treatment for ringworm, (if that is what your guinea has) - which is a fungal disease not a worm.

As others have said, please see a vet to get a proper diagnosis and treatment.....I would also ask them to check her eyeball as she may have damaged it whilst scratching and need some eyedrops as well as an appropriate treatment for her skin condition.

As others have said, only a vet can diagnose Ringworm and if that is what he has, he needs an appropriate anti-fungal treatment.

Please could you update your location on your profile as we have members from all over the world and it will help us understand your situation more (I/e access to vets) and what products the vet may prescribe.

In the meantime here, is our Ringworm guide which outlines the hygiene measures you need to take in case that is what he has.

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/ringworm-hygiene-and-pictures.115402/

:agr: with what has been said above. Also that cage is MUCH too small for a guinea pig.:td: Look into getting a C and C cage, and also a female companion for your piggie, please. :tu:

Guinea pigs do cost quite a bit if money especially if they become ill :( Please make preparation for vet fees at some point, I suggest you save up or get insurance to cover future visits :)

:agr: with what has been said above. Also that cage is MUCH too small for a guinea pig.:td: Look into getting a C and C cage, and also a female companion for your piggie, please. :tu:
Not a good idea if he is a boy! :( Also the OP can't afford vet fees for one piggy, two would be very difficult :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back