Help Please, Behaviour Change In New Guinea Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

faymi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello
I really hope someone can help or has an idea I'm stumped.
2 weeks ago we got a pair of male guinea pigs (9weeks old when we bought them). Of the two muffin was very calm and friendly from the offset and his friend marrow more cautious. I was worried about a small scab on Marrows lip (which appeared) and took them both to the vet last week to make sure he was ok and for a general health check for both. The vet said it was a very small cut and to keep an eye on it (now fine) and that they were both very healthy and Marrow was definitely male and thought Muffin male too.
Marrow has become very friendly and calm (as Muffin was) whereas Muffin seems quite grumpy now and all of a sudden (total behaviour change). When he's out for lap time Muffin is fine being stroked when eating but if you stroke him otherwise he shudders his whole body to shake you off every time you try to stroke him (like a dog shaking themselves off when wet) before yesterday he was so soppy and would happily sit and walk around if he wanted but never minded a stroke.
They've both got a large run in the garden and have time in there everyday, except today as it's been so windy so indoor play instead.
They're housed in an outside hutch, would the wind have bothered him or it something else.
Thankyou :)

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Guinea pigs generally do not like wind. it is very likely to have spooked him if he's never experienced it. please always provide some kind of shelter away from wind and weather and the cold ground during the spring months.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...-preparing-your-piggies-for-lawn-time.111844/

Guinea pigs are prey animals; some are much more timid and operating more strongly on them. It is always harder to build up trust, especially when you have to deal with medical treatments right at the beginning.
You may find this thread here helpful in slowly building up trust. it is not a quick process, so don't be impatient. You will feel so much more of an achievement if you finally win Muffin's trust.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...stincts-and-speak-piggy-body-language.117031/

faymi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thankyou,
They're both well sheltered and have a hutch cover fastened tight and as much shelter as possible. It's a really gusty day today. Hoping it settles soon. The hutch is raised from the ground with plenty of hay so hopefully that's all alright.
I have all the time in the world for them and I'm being patient it was just such a surprise for his temperament to change so much and worried me.
Thanks for your help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.