• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

help please! cage security!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
hi! at the momment i have a store bought cage, but i might get my piggies a c&c cage soon! Anyway i have two very clever dogs that can open my bedroom door, and my guinea pigs live in my room with me. the dogs sometimes sneak upstairs and into my room and bark at my piggies, the cage has a roof that has a lid, so thats not a problem because it has these hooks so it cant open, however thier is a sliding door, which is so easy to open that my baby sister can even open it! and if a baby can then the dogs can. i once caught them in my room before and the puppy opened it by itself! so I'm getting worried, if I'm out and they come upstairs into my room and open the cage, and get the guinea pigs..... :(
so yeah, you get the point,i cant get a lock on my door because my pa
rents wont let me. So does anyone have any idea of how i could secure the cage? thanks in advance! Any suggestion is much appreciated!

If you are thinking of swapping to a C+C cage they have open top usuallly, maybe you could put a hook and eye on your bedroom door high enough up so that only you can reach it.

thoose are great ideas! thank you so much, its a good thing i have a clip! i will put it on the the cage right now! and as for the door clip things, do you know where you can get them from? oh and yes the cage is wire, and if i made a c&c cage do you know how to make a lid for it? thanks! :)

Any good DIY stores will sell the hooks and eyes, like the ones you sometimes get on your gate to hold it open. Not sure how you will make a lid, but I think there is a sticky thread on C+C cages that will give you lots of ideas.

I have a lid on my C&C cage and its just held together with cable ties down one edge so it can open up... when I close it I put mini clamp clips on it (but bulldog clips would do the same job) to keep it closed.
x

DSCF3862.jpg

The whole first two rows of grids along with the front and side's flip up. 4x3

IMG00613-20110613-1113.jpg

IMG00616-20110613-1114.jpg

The wood flips up and sits on the connectors. It also latches shut because we have cats. 4x2

I would be just as concerned that the dogs are stood barking at the piggies!

You need to have a secure cage just incase the dogs get in to your bedroom but its also very important to secure the means of the dogs getting in there in the first place. The piggies will be terrified.

Would it be possible for you to get hold of a stair gate for dogs? The tall type made especially for K9s ?

Or if a lock for your bedroom door is out of the question, tie the door handle with robe onto something secure when you go out. (Yes I have done this many times, my dog is a great scavenger, and I hide the xmas presents in the wardrobe much to the delight of Cleo who once found a whole load of Thornton Chocolates one christmas)

xchocolatexmustardx - love the piggy bunkbed idea x)

:)p:)p

You need to have a secure cage just incase the dogs get in to your bedroom but its also very important to secure the means of the dogs getting in there in the first place. The piggies will be terrified.

Would it be possible for you to get hold of a stair gate for dogs? The tall type made especially for K9s ?

Or if a lock for your bedroom door is out of the question, tie the door handle with robe onto something secure when you go out. (Yes I have done this many times, my dog is a great scavenger, and I hide the xmas presents in the wardrobe much to the delight of Cleo who once found a whole load of Thornton Chocolates one christmas)

what a great idea! ;) thanks salt n pepperd mum! :)

I have a very small room while going to school, but I didn't want that to cut down the size of their cage. It's actually bigger then the one they have at home. I am very pleased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back