• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Help please! introducing a trio...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lily 74

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

I am now the proud owner of a Dark grey and white 5 month old peruvian sow called Millie!:))

I got her from the free ads as a lady was needing homes for some of her ina pigs as she has had a stroke and is downsizing.

Millie is possibly pregnant apparently, but she doesn't look it so we shall see.

I have introduced her to my two rex sows today in the ELC ball pit, and they are going in the cage together later.

What can I expect from trying to intergrate into my pair of sows, so far the dominant sow has chased her, chattered teeth, and stopped her from coming out of her hidey hole for food etc:(

Is this normal? will it die down eventually? I am new to bonding newbees!!

Thanks
Is this normal?

I don't have much advice on this front really, as my piggies all get along really well... good luck and just watch out for fighting, I think the chattering and chasing is probably normal and maybe if Millie is pregnant then your dominant sow can sense that she is and feels threatened?

Best of luck :) x

I don't have much advice on this front really, as my piggies all get along really well... good luck and just watch out for fighting, I think the chattering and chasing is probably normal and maybe if Millie is pregnant then your dominant sow can sense that she is and feels threatened?

Best of luck :) x

Don't have any hideys or nooks in the cage with only one entrance and have three food bowls, well spaced apart, so the newbie cannot be locked in or prevented from eating.

If the behaviour doesn't abate over the course of the next couple of weeks, you will have to abort. Make sure that you weigh the newbie daily to see whether she's losing weight.

Personally, I have found that it helps if the newbie can spend a couple of days right next their new companions, so the piggies can become aware of each other before introduction. Reactions tend to be a bit less severe when they finally meet properly.

Last edited:
Sorry; the forum is just so slow!

I would have chosen a location that was compeltely new to every piggy to even out the field. You will find that your dominant sow will be even more so in the thoroughly cleaned and rearranged cage. I would leave them in the ball pit over night, frankly, if signs are not good. it doesn't make sense to introduce yet another stress factor into a volatile situation.

I have found that if you get a towel and rub it over the two guineapigs to get their scent on it and after you have done that rub your new guineapig in it so they have their scent on her makes things a little more easier i have found... goodluck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back