• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help pretty surre twin has an abcess where he was neutered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cgilchrist

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi Guys one of the twins (snowy) had several lumps removes from his tummy on thursday and was neutered at the same time. he has been on .8ml baytrill twice a day until yesterday when the vet said he was healing well and all looked good so we dropped the baytril to .4 last night and this morning. I have noticed he had gone a little quieter earlier and fluffed up again. now i have just discovered a large solid lump just above the incision site on his boy bits. I think it must be an abcess. he is eating ok and pooping. shall I up the Baytril back to .8? should I try to lance the lump? he has another check up at 6.40pm tomorrow shall I wait til then or get an earlier appt with the vet if possible? shall I go to the emergency, non-piggie vet? what shall I do. maybe shall I try a pultice? HELP! he's also on max dose of metacalm.

If I were you, I'd take him to the vet. Spud had the same, it was expected to be a hernia but turned out to be a cyst...sooner you get him to the vets the better :)
Good luck x

Hi Claire,

This sounds familiar, is this ltitle chap the one you phoned me about the other day?

Either way, I am sorry you have another worry. Now *personally* I have had pigs with abscesses which have been healed without the use of Baytril at all. Some abscess pigs who have had Baytril, and the Baytril has made no difference. The most effective use of an antibiotic I have experienced when it comes to abscesses, is flushing the cavity with Flagyl (metronidazole) after it has been drained of pus.

So that's a long way of saying, I would stick with 0.4ml Baytril and not increase the dose.

If you can get an earlier appointment tomorrow I would recommend doing so, partly just to be sure it is an abscess, as there can occasionally be alternative causes of lumps near incisions. On that note, and also on the abscess note, I would have to advise against lancing it, needs a local anaesthetic and a careful hand, right tools etc.

You might find this thread useful for another members experience and my advice on dealing with post neuter abscesses, if an abscess is the case:
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57128

Not something I've ever tried I'm afraid Claire, no experience with them.

When Bumble had his abcess, without really thinking I gave him a heatpad the first night, just to keep him warm as he doesn't do too well on antibiotics and wanted to make him comfy.

Well the heatpad didn't half bring the thing back up, next morning poor mummy DoeyL goes to bath it before work, it blooming pops all over my lap! MING!

I would keep an eye on it, don't make it pop just if it wants to come, let it come, and if it does have some salt water or hibiscrub (diluted) handy to help clean it up.

Update after the vet

Well we took Snowy to the vet at 6.10 and he had him back under to clean out the abcess by 6.20 :( hubby left him there but when I called at 6.45 he was coming out of the aneasthetic so was under for a very short space of time. got a call at 8 to say he was up on his feet and nibbling hay. But there was a lot of pus that was cleaned out so fingers crossed it stays clear. Little man also has chewed his wound badly so is also being knocked out again for an abcess tomorrow! not having much luck here. supposed to be going to france on tuesday morning :... the vet has said he will board them but I have no idea what cost it will be. Any ideas?8...

Oh dear, nothing is ever simple is it! No idea on the cost, but do check with the vet beforehand so you know.

Did the vet say how he dealt with the abscess? From the sounds of things I would hope he has only made an incision and left it open to drain...although if any stitches are involved the vet may have attempted to remove the abscess altogether.

Oh dear, nothing is ever simple is it! No idea on the cost, but do check with the vet beforehand so you know.

Did the vet say how he dealt with the abscess? From the sounds of things I would hope he has only made an incision and left it open to drain...although if any stitches are involved the vet may have attempted to remove the abscess altogether.

Well I haven't seen the vet yet but he had a lot of pus to clean out of the bit where his testicle was so I think he would have had to get in there. I will probably see him later for a discharge appt when he has done little man as well. did pop in this morning to drop off their burgess nuggets and gave Snowy a hug he seemed bright and happily ate 6 blackcurrant and oregano nuggets that I offered him. and has started on the casrrot they gave him. :)

Gentle hugs to Snowy, hope he's okay x

Boris had an abcsess in this area too, but his burst :( It was treated successfully with baytril and flushing with a hibiscrub mix though

Enjoy your trip to France too x

Vet is keeping him in again tonight as he hasn't eaten as much as they hoped poor boy. :( so worried but he is in the best place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back