• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

HELP! Rat and mice problem in cage!

Can you move the pigs somewhere inside/different for a week so you can go into the shed and do some proper rat proofing? They are very VERY good at getting in and will find a hole. They can chew through concrete eventually, but that's very good at stopping them. You could use a combination of concrete with very small chicken wire put into it

Can you move the pigs somewhere inside/different for a week so you can go into the shed and do some proper rat proofing? They are very VERY good at getting in and will find a hole. They can chew through concrete eventually, but that's very good at stopping them. You could use a combination of concrete with very small chicken wire put into it
Thank you, it’s quite hard to fill in teh holes as it’s more of a building rather than a shead that’s over 200 years old, the holes in the wall have been filed but a corrugated roof that connects that room to another would be impossible to fill , well xo everything we can but that just wouldn’t be possible.

View attachment 127656So
466C5B51-0AD4-405E-AA60-ECE5256B7287.png
UPDATE! This morning I put some food out and set up my camera to see what I was dealing with, then I took the food away ( I won’t put anything out again) and in all the footage I only saw 1 creature, is this a mouse or baby/ small rat

Still though, I would sort something out before rats do appear, can you move you're pigs indoors?
Moving them inside isn’t a possibility but now no food will be left out except at feeding time for a few hours there should be no reason for rats to appear

Moving them inside isn’t a possibility but now no food will be left out except at feeding time for a few hours there should be no reason for rats to appear
Only thing is, rats are omnivore predators, so could seek out live food, guinea pigs won't have any defense other than to run. Hopefully no rats will come, you could get some traps for the outside of the area. I hate the idea, but they are vermin

Only thing is, rats are omnivore predators, so could seek out live food, guinea pigs won't have any defense other than to run. Hopefully no rats will come, you could get some traps for the outside of the area. I hate the idea, but they are vermin
We’re ordering wire to go around the cage which will stop them coming in, we also have 4 dogs which roam around in the garden and outside the door where the pigs are at night so that should scare them away. And if I notice any signs of a rat I’ll have no choice but to put out traps but poison wouldn’t be an option as there are dogs cats and children all around

Rats climb very well, I doubt wire will stop them. Give it a go, see what you can do though 👍. I can help much more really. How late are you're dogs out til?

I would recommend bringing your guinea pigs inside, unless you have no choice and you can’t. My dad used to deal with fire ants by putting coffee powder (I’m pretty sure it was Columbian coffee powder from Costco) and it worked! I don’t know if it works for mice/rats too, but it’s worth a shot!

I had an idea, is it possible you can get hold of some breeze blocks? (here's some on B&Q website) They are relativley cheap and you might even find some as waste.
You could build a "new" floor and walls inside your shed, if you concrete them down they shouldn't be able to get in anymore. Maybe with wire inbetween them and the walls/floors too?

Rats climb very well, I doubt wire will stop them. Give it a go, see what you can do though 👍. I can help much more really. How late are you're dogs out til?
My dogs are out at a variety of times and if there not outside they sleep by the back foot which is where the shead is, I mean put wire on there actual doors so the rats can’t fit inside

I had an idea, is it possible you can get hold of some breeze blocks? (here's some on B&Q website) They are relativley cheap and you might even find some as waste.
You could build a "new" floor and walls inside your shed, if you concrete them down they shouldn't be able to get in anymore. Maybe with wire inbetween them and the walls/floors too?
The main problem is them getting in through the corrigated roof and I can’t block that off as they whole thing is open in different places and too high up, I’d have to get someone in but I hope I won’t have any problems

Are you able to keep the piggies warm enough if there are open areas in the roof?
There very hardy creatures so the cold doesn’t bother them but as a treat I put out heater in there and they absolutely love it! They also have lots of hay to snuggle into

I'm no DIY buff but personally I'd be squirting loads of expanding foam all round the roof edges and open areas for a start, for insulation and rat proofing! Probably over some chicken wire in the more open areas...
I can try but there are hundreds of areas with small cracks. I’m hoping even if there are rats which is not certain, the cat will get them. Our cat is an excellent hunter, infact over the past weeks he’s caught 11 mice which I have to clear up.. eww haha and last year he caught 5 rats! And they do get shut in there cage at night and wire will be put on there doors

Back