HELP! Rat and mice problem in cage!

Pipandpopboris

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Should be kept no lower than 15c guinea pigs. That's what I've been taught 🤔. Not getting onto you. Just care 👍
Thanks! In previous winters when there was no heater and it was 2 or 3 degrees they where perfectly fine but now they will keep cozy for a while at night ( I can’t keep the heater on for more than 30 mins in there however)

Piggies&buns

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
There very hardy creatures so the cold doesn’t bother them but as a treat I put out heater in there and they absolutely love it! They also have lots of hay to snuggle into
I’m afraid this isn’t the case. Guinea pigs are not hardy. Their comfortable temperature range is 18-23 degrees with temperatures lower than 15 degrees being too cold for them.
My two live in a shed and it takes a lot of work to keep them warm enough - lots of hay (I get through 15kg of hay per month just for bedding!), snugglesafe heatpads and thermal hutch covers and blankets covering their hutch.

Pipandpopboris

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’m afraid this isn’t the case. Guinea pigs are not hardy. Their comfortable temperature range is 18-23 degrees with temperatures lower than 15 degrees being too cold for them.
My two live in a shed and it takes a lot of work to keep them warm enough - lots of hay (I get through 15kg of hay per month just for bedding!), snugglesafe heatpads and thermal hutch covers and blankets covering their hutch.
Yes I do use lots of hay in there bed compartments each day and there perfectly fine, I’ve had pigs for 9 years now and never had problems in the cold

eileen

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I'm sorry you have pests in your outhouse,it maybe good to get professional help eg rentokil.i had mice about and they were very helpful at eradicating them from the house.blocked up there exit hole !ive some guinea pigs outside,thermal covers,plenty of hay.snugglesafe heatpads are useful.ive just finished heating 13 pads.in an ideal world guinea pigs would only live inside,but it not always possible for a number of reasons.you are doing your best to keep them warm.the rats are your main problem at present,the council can help as well.i hope you find a way to get rid of them.x

RoyalDuke

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It might be worth asking a pest control company for some more advice, if they are getting in through an old corrigated roof thats beyond help i can offer. Mice used to get in through the same way with my Quail. Theres no point in using the expanding foam, its so easy for them to chew through.

Sue and Smartie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Your shed looks very much like mine. Are those cob walls? We have a corrugated roof also.
I used to keep my pigs in there but now they live in our house as I couldn't stop the rats getting in the shed and they were chewing away all the wood to get into the hutch/run.
I doubt you have any rats atm as if there were any they would have eaten the mice by now. But they WILL come, if there's a food source.

SkyPipDotBernie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was reading about rats because I have recently got 2 pet ones, and I was amazed to read, they can chew concrete and thin metal, they have a flap inside their mouths that's closes to stop any non food parts to get swallowed, they really are amazing animals, but the wild ones are dangerous

Pipandpopboris

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
In conclusion what I’ve got out of this is to have a food source out for as little as possible! And keep thing clean

Pipandpopboris

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
UPDATE ; we recently got poison traps in the house as our house has been infested 😬but the other traps that where humane or snapping ones didn’t work. They where very effective but our dog has also killed 3 and I let her into the pig room when the pigs where locked away and she killed the 2 in there! So far there have been no other mice! Problem sorted! Just get a clever dog