• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Help sourcing a hutch pleass

dgilb80

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Morning all,

We are hoping to adopt 2 gp’s in the next month or so (not sure whether 2 boars or 2 sows at this stage). Have spent the past few days researching outdoor hutches but feel like I’m going round in circles and confusing myself.
I think I have decided on the Chartwell 5ft double but have a couple of questions if I may:
1. Is the 5ft big enough for 2 pigs?
2. I cannot seem to find the 5ft double in stock anywhere - does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might be able to find one? (Would prefer to buy new rather than second hand).
3. Are there any better outdoor hutches I should look at instead? The Ryedale ones are a bit out of budget unfortunately.

Thanks in advance

A 5ft hutch is big enough for two sows, but not for two boars. Two boars need 6ft.

You don’t need to have a double hutch, a single is perfect. Piggies need their space on a single level, upper levels don’t count towards the cage size and they don’t double the cage size. Piggies are ground roaming and some don’t like to use ramps.

I’m actually having similar sourcing issues so can’t help you there I’m afraid.

Thank you so much. I though finding a hutch would be the easy part but I appear to have walked into a minefield!

Not yet, i know they are not cheap though. Trying to make a definite decision on hutch then will look more into the covers.

i just had a thought. Some rescues won’t let you adopt if you’re housing them outside, especially when it’s began to get chillier during the night. If you don’t take any on until September it may be late and you may have to house them inside. Just something to think about.

I would also contact the rescues and see what their requirements are before you start buying housing etc.

Not yet, i know they are not cheap though. Trying to make a definite decision on hutch then will look more into the covers.

The only reason I mention it, is back in December I too, was going to get a Chartwell hutch. The thermal cover and rain cover came to around £100, maybe a bit over that. The hutch itself was £230 ish. But the wood is so thin on the Chartwell, the rear being only multiple pieces of plywood 😔. So you do have to have covers if the hutch is going to be outside.

In my case, parts of the hutch were damaged when I opened the boxes and the tongue and groove panels had not been slotted together properly. The replacement parts had the same faults, so there was obviously some kind of manufacturing issue at the factory. I too thought Ryedale hutches were out of my budget, but if you look at the difference in quality, 20mm log lap all round, no seams in the panels, the way you can customise it with upgrades like the flooring, the bolts, actual legs making it higher off the ground, ramp sides and balcony. Plus the fact it's ready built. The price difference is marginal.

I bought a 6ft double Rydale with 6 inch legs, guinea pig spec ramp and balcony, upgraded floor (so I paid extra for these) and it was less than £50 over and above what I would have paid for the flat packed Chartwell and two covers. I understand everyone has their budget, but you can't compare the build quality of a Chartwell to a Ryedale. The Ryedale is stand alone ready for the weather with no need for covers. There is zero chance of it ever being blown over in a storm too. So the money you would have to spend on covers for the Chartwell, you can spend on a better quality hutch!

DSC_0271.JPGDSC_0269.JPGDSC_0268.JPGDSC_0267.JPG20200509_173055.jpg,

i just had a thought. Some rescues won’t let you adopt if you’re housing them outside, especially when it’s began to get chillier during the night. If you don’t take any on until September it may be late and you may have to house them inside. Just something to think about.

I would also contact the rescues and see what their requirements are before you start buying housing etc.
When I adopted my pigs in March, I had a limited choice which pigs I could 'choose' from due to some of the adoptees never having lived outside before, but I don't think it's a no go. If you're upfront and honest, there are quite possibly pigs that were previously homed outdoors that can be rehomed outdoors.

M preference would be to have them indoors definitly....trouble is husband is not so keen and wants them outdoors...

M preference would be to have them indoors definitly....trouble is husband is not so keen and wants them outdoors...
Maybe just suggest to have them indoors for the winter, then don’t move them out! 😂 I’m sure he will fall in love with having them inside once you get them!

ive a chartwell 6 feet hutches and in there 7th year.i do have the covers,the thermal insulator is good,i found even in the hot temps it kept the hutches at approx 23 degrees.you will not need to paint the exteroir as the wood stays preserved with the covers.20160924_165340.jpg

i bought mine from home and roost,got the covers from Scratch and Newton direct.i place lino on the floor and removed the ramps so i could use the bottom as a run in the winter months.i hope you find a solution.

When I adopted my pigs in March, I had a limited choice which pigs I could 'choose' from due to some of the adoptees never having lived outside before, but I don't think it's a no go. If you're upfront and honest, there are quite possibly pigs that were previously homed outdoors that can be rehomed outdoors.
I didn’t mean it’s a no go, but it can limit your choices if the rescues aren’t willing to rehome for outdoor living, especially once night temperatures (start to) drop

Still going round in circles. Read so much about a double storey being no good because of the ramp....so back to looking at single storey but trying to find one big enough that is in stock is a nightmare....
What are peoples views on this one:
Ferplast Ranch Rabbit Hutch

Thank you all for being so helpful.

They both look good to me :D I’m sure a pair of piggies Boars or sows will very happy in either cage x

Back