Help stinky hutch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
We picked up Stitch from family yesterday as they are emigrating. His hutch was filthy :( and it absolutely stinks (as does Stitch).
We cleaned it out and sprayed with pet safe disinfectant but it still smells - and it's in our spare bedroom :)>>>

What's the best thing to get rid of the smell? Sprinkle with bicarb or scrub with white vinegar.

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
thats what i would do.

Blimey, family did you say? Sounds more like the poor thing has been rescued than passed on :))

Hes gorgy by the way x

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
White vinegar deffos, and then leave to dry and wash it again with pet dissinfectant :) Poor boy, hope his hutch smells lovely soon! :)

Veganlove

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If you haven't already done so ~ i'd recommend dismantling the hutch at least partially so that you can get the floors out, then you can give the nooks and crannies a good scrub :)
I've had to do this twice with my hutch as the "lodgers" changed - it was easy for me i must admit as i'd assembled the hutch from new so i knew that the roof was the last thing to go on - so i removed it and got the floors out without having to dismantle the rest~ then gave it all a brush down and a good scrub with Trigene. It's surprising how much stuff can lodge between the floors and walls including insects if the hutch has been outdoors [ i have a bit of a thing about earwigs :)>>> so did it partly to make sure there were none lurking in there LOL ]

Status
Not open for further replies.