• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help! Tove Has Has Hair Loss! What Could It Be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinka

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I adopted Tove a little over a week ago, and today I found a little patch of missing fur on her face, right beside her eye. Needless to say I'm pretty concerned. I've never seen this before in Tuulikki, my other pig. I'm also kind of a newbie at owning guinea pigs so I don't really know what it could be. Here are some other facts: She is 3-4 months old, she has a normal appetite, and is drinking just fine. Nothing about her behavior has changed. She is naturally nervous since I haven't had her that long, and she's kept by herself because I wanted to wait the suggested two weeks before introducing her to my other sow. Is this concerning enough to see a vet? What could this hair loss be caused by?

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score

Tinka

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Do you have access to a good piggy vet? It looks like Ringworm to me and so she will need treatment, and there are special hygiene measures you need to follow. Does she live with other pigs?

Here is our Ringworm guide, the closest thing in the US to Itrafungol is Sporanox.

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/ringworm-hygiene-and-pictures.115402/
Thanks for the advice! I do I have a vet I see. And no, she lives separately because I wanted her to be quarantined so I'd catch something like this before my other pig could be exposed. I've only had her over a week.

Tinka

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That looks very much like fungal, potentially ringworm. Please be careful when handling her and use good hygiene to prevent transmission.

You may find these links here helpful:
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/ringworm-hygiene-and-pictures.115402/
http://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html
Don't worry, I got hand sanitizer on standby. And thanks for the advice! I'll call my vet tomorrow (they're closed now) and see if she'll take a peek and prescribe me something.

kim3

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I had my piggies a week when i noticed missing hair on my pig in exactly the same place.
My vet diagnosed mites so i am currently treating with xeno50.
Good that ure goin to the vets and a good job u quarantined as i didnt as they were both bought together and i have to treat both pigs.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't worry, I got hand sanitizer on standby. And thanks for the advice! I'll call my vet tomorrow (they're closed now) and see if she'll take a peek and prescribe me something.
Ringworm is very typical for newly bought piggies and one of the main reasons why we recommend a quarantine. All the best; with the right treatment and a good product, ringworm can be got on top of pretty straight forward even though the logistics can become a real pain (especially when you get a break-out with 16 piggies like had at one point...) :mal:

It is worth enquiring for an oral itraconazole based treatment, even though it is not quite cheap, as it is the most effective and is much less stressful than any dips and creams, especially for new piggies that are not yet used to being handled and have never had a bath. Itraconazole (itrafungol or sporonox) is the mildest oral medication for guinea pigs.

PiggieWigs12

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've Always found nyzerol (sp) shampoo from boots to be very effective at treating fungal. I'd still go the vet though as you say if uncertain.

Status
Not open for further replies.