• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Help! Trying to resist getting cute piggies!

RedLoredAmazon

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I really need to stop looking at piggies that show up on Nextdoor. I just saw three adorable ladies that look well cared for that their owner was giving away for free. I did refer the owner to the EARPS rescue that I adopted my piggies from. How do you guys resist getting more piggies?!?!?! I keep telling myself that I don't have enough room for 3 more piggies in my 15 square foot piggy house and I really should appreciate what I have.

I have the same issue with bunnies (I need to buy a house before I adopt bunnies apparently) my fiance had to confiscate my laptop the other day because I found some baby bunnies on a recuses website and I was in love. luckily having two nicely paired boars stops me from wanting any more pigs as I don't want to risk breaking their bond.

It is very hard to resist, especially if you know you could give the piggies a better life and could afford their vet bills... I have stopped at 8, at the point where random piggy number 7 wouldnt bond with the other 6 and there was a huge fight and almost fatal abscess from the bite wounds and piggy number 7 needed her own cage and own new friend in a different room... so, 8 piggies, 2 cages, 2 rooms of my 6 room house taken over by cute but demanding rodents...
I should probably have stopped after piggy number 6 who is adorable Blodwen, the most expensive free ads piggy ever perhaps, who arrived with ringworm and needing almost £400 worth of emergency dental surgery... and she has just cost me about £300 for a stubborn respiratory infection, and she needs another dental doing when she's better...!
She's well worth it, they are all worth it, but I dont think I could afford or give enough time to any more...

I think the thing that is getting to me is that these three were the ones I was trying to adopt in April from a different neighbor. The current posting about them says that they need to be rehomed again after being adopted by her family this year. I know if they go to my local rescue, they will all get the love and attention that they need.

Recommending a local rescue is the most sensible plan, if you do decide to take them on remember that like with my piggy number 7 (Tallulah skinny pig chupacabra chocolate shadow bat hippo) you need a workable plan B if for some reason the new piggies dont like your current piggies! These cute little furry potatoes can be rather temperamental, and 5 minutes into the bonding session and I was mopping up blood and taking 2 piggies to the emergency vet...!

i have 19 piggies,it is expensive and alot of work,i am now trying to downsize,not replacing after one passes.i love them all,but i was calculating the costs,just food,hay,bedding and disposal of waste is costing and vets fund,£200 a month.That is a reality check !

I heard back from the owner and she said her current living situation and new job was preventing her from caring from the piggies properly. She was really interested in the rescue and asked for their information. I did ask her if she could let me know what happens with the piggies.

So true about the vet bills.... I have spent small fortunes on the tiniest of pets. I had to be realistic and see that there isn't enough space for three more piggies. She has two other people interested in her piggies.

My husband thanks everyone talking me out of getting those piggies. :)) When I mentioned that the piggy house would have to be enlarged to add three more, he said that the piggy house was as big as the bathroom minus the vanity....he was right.

Back