Help Why has My fleece lined cage started getting so wet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Quick question I have had my piggys on the same fleece since I bring them home in July but for some reason this week it has started it get very wet and yucky. I have this fleece ( http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00070489 ) and a thick quilt like thing under that which I swap and wash every week at 90'c it was worked just fine but this week it is just wet.
Has anyone else had this happen to them? :...

MrsM

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
are you using conditionner when you wash your fleece? or tumbledry it? If so, stop as it creates a waterproof layer and stop absobtion.

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have this problem with one group of mine. I have a fleece lining the bottom of the cage, but it always gets so wet and smelly so quickly. I don't know if it's because the water bottle drips onto it or if the guineas in that cage are just dirtier than the others, but I just don't understand how they get it so wet.
I don't use conditioner when I wash the fleece either :{

Reaction score
no tummle dryer here. I'm sure I didnt put conditioner in the wash (I always avoid it with pet stuff ) Unless I put some in by mistake last week 8... would it stop the fleece working after 1 wash with it conditioner.

MrsM

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've done it on occasion and can't say I've noticed a difference if done once. I'm sure it'd come out after washing.

Reaction score
I you saying about tumble drying I could it be I have been washing it on to hotter wash?

MrsM

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was talking about conditionner. I no longer was at 90 cos it's too expensive on elec bill and it felts the fleece

Reaction score
Thank you Mrs M (I ment on tummble ref your first post) I think I may go out and buy 2 more fleeces and wash them ready to go in next week see how they go on new ones. I dont have a clue what I have done but if I start again washing no conditioner (always) and only at 30'c hopefully I might have some luck. Figures crossed.

Reaction score
Hmm, it says on the website to wash the fleece at 40c, maybe washing at 90c has damaged its absorbency somehow?

Status
Not open for further replies.