• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Help With Bedding..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Becky_lou

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hiya
As most of you probably no I'm in the process of building a guinea shed.. iv been thinking about bedding and the area thats going to have to be covered. Has anybody got any ideas on cheap and generally easy to use bedding?

I currently use sawdust and hay and have had no problems but disposing of it after use

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

If you have the time for it, you could fit a fleece in so you can wash it multiple times. I just use woodshavings. I would stop using sawdust as pretty sure it's more damaging to guinea pigs system? You could use something I think is called hemp/kemp? One of the users on here used it. Not sure about that one. :)

I have tried fleece tbh and wasn't keen.. i kept them indoors when i first had them. It is woodshavings i use already but i find it hard to dispose of it, theres not enough room in my dustbin weekly

I'll have a look at the hemp price wise ect.
Thanks for your help

Yes they will be, its a hell of an area to cover its 16×8 feet

in that case, what about non-slip lino? then you could place large litter trays for hay around the area, and it gives you the option to use more bedding covering part/all of the floor in the colder weather :)

I have the same problem with disposal, and you'll find this no matter what you use. I ended up paying my local council to provide me with a Brown garden waste bin, as animal bedding is allowed BUT you need to check with your own council if you wish to go down that route.

I use Fitch and get on great with it. It's £21 delivered for 20kg.
Aubiose is cheaper and made from hemp. Some people have had issues with bits getting stuck where they shouldn't, whereas others highly recommend it. It is cheaper, at around £10 for the same amount.
Megazorb is a quite popular and is a card-based bedding. Again it is very reasonably priced but you can get dusty batches or not - a bit of luck really. The 2nd lot I bought was VERY dusty and I stopped using it.

I can't think of a way to solve your problem in getting rid of the used stuff though, not without finding out more about your local recycling rubbish collections or making regular trips to the tip.

if your council accept pet waste in the bins, then ask them for an extra... or two! they would rather people recycled so are usually happy to provide extra. we have three! and use next doors aswell! (with permission) :))

in that case, what about non-slip lino? then you could place large litter trays for hay around the area, and it gives you the option to use more bedding covering part/all of the floor in the colder weather :)
Were going to have to think of something.. i had thought of lino for hygine reasons. There obviously going to have some sort of cages ect to sleep in it won't be just open floor but type of bedding is a question mark i must say

That is a great idea @Critter i honestly have never even considered that.. mine goes in a black bin bag and in my main hosehold rubbish bin which then obviously doesn't leave much room for rubbish.

I will definatly check that out..
Thankyou very much xx

Some guinea pigs will actually use a litter tray. It's not that they are toilet-trainable as such, generally, but mine are bedded on fleece with a large tray area where they have their Fitch bedding and a big pile of hay. They poop absolutely anywhere and everywhere but do almost all of their wee's in the Fitch-tray. Six piggies I've had over time, so not many, and yet all of them took to doing most of their wee's in the Fitch, or whatever bedding I was experimenting with at the time.
It could be that with trays of litter and hay your pigs end up doing most of their's in those trays, leaving you with less of a need to provide much in the way of covering on the floor. Perhaps a morning and evening mop with warm water and a touch of cage disinfectant will be just fine :)

Or you could end up with pigs wee'ing and pooping and stepping in the mess and giving themselves 'poo-slippers' It really does depend on what you pigs decide to do with regards their own toileting behaviour. :)

That sounds worth a try :)
Well my rubbish definitely isn't going in the garden or recycling bin so i think my only option is too buy another black bin for general household rubbish and black bag it :( what a palaver over a bit of poo..

That sounds worth a try :)
Well my rubbish definitely isn't going in the garden or recycling bin so i think my only option is too buy another black bin for general household rubbish and black bag it :( what a palaver over a bit of poo..
I know how you feel. I have to pay nearly £40 a year for my garden waste bin, and it's not collected during winter, so we will have to go down our local tip during those months. Like you say, all for some poop! (and the bedding)

Iv found this online.. there seems to be many different kinds of wood shavings :)
Interesting though..Screenshot_2015-06-13-20-11-32.png
Easibed seems to be the better out of the 6..

I'm probably missing something, but what are the cups there for?

edit; silly me it means absorbent doesn't it? Right after posting it is when I remember something :D

I love easibed! I get it for £8.40 for 20kg.
It has bigger pieces than aubiose and my piggies definetly approve of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back