• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help With Comfort Care For Very Sick Guinea Pig

irene

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
HELPB59A36F0-5808-4E0A-ADBA-33FEF3D6E422.webp I️ haven’t posted in a long time, it looks like my beloved Cinnamon in the pic who will be 4 in December does not have long. She has her recurrent diarrhea issue which has now given her “bed sores” on both feet because she can’t move well, has neurological damage in hips and hind legs. Therefore she is always sitting in feces I️ bathe her as often as I️ can but don’t want to cause her pain, her one foot hurts when touched. She is on antibiotics and pain medication. Does anyone have any advice on how to keep her feet a bit cleaner. The vet said at least the sores are closed but I️ want to try to keep it that way until she either gets worse or we have to make that awful decision

HELPView attachment 75557 I️ haven’t posted in a long time, it looks like my beloved Cinnamon in the pic who will be 4 in December does not have long. She has her recurrent diarrhea issue which has now given her “bed sores” on both feet because she can’t move well, has neurological damage in hips and hind legs. Therefore she is always sitting in feces I️ bathe her as often as I️ can but don’t want to cause her pain, her one foot hurts when touched. She is on antibiotics and pain medication. Does anyone have any advice on how to keep her feet a bit cleaner. The vet said at least the sores are closed but I️ want to try to keep it that way until she either gets worse or we have to make that awful decision

Puppy pads or vetbed that can be changed several times a day are best for guinea pigs with limited mobility that sit in their own excrement.

Have you and your vet considered trying a course of fibreplex to see whether that helps to firm up the poos somewhat? Older and frail guinea pigs can however experience a tender digestion with problems. Cutting out root veg and grains (including sweet corn) in fresh food and grain-free pellets may also help towards stabilising things a bit more.
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diet

I have my piggies on Vetfleece as this wicks away and wetness so they are always dry. I use layers of newspaper underneath to soak up moisture. The Vetfleece is also lovely ans soft to lie on.
As @Wiebke says some Fibreplex should help solidify the poos a little so hopefully won’t have to put her through bathing so often.

I also use vetbed/Vetfleece for my elderly piggy, I got a big bit and cut squares then I can change them often. I also pop a half heated snuggle safe under to keep her warm. I use puppy pads under the bedding to mop it all up.

I also use fibreplex when she manages to gorge on lettuce giving herself an upset bottom and gorgeous Guineas f&m cream for her feet to protect them.

I have an electric heat pad that l put under the vet bed which provides gentle heat and gorgeous guineas foot cream is excellent. Soaking sore feet in dilute hibiscrub before applying the cream can be helpful also but be guided by your vet.

Puppy pads or vetbed that can be changed several times a day are best for guinea pigs with limited mobility that sit in their own excrement.

Have you and your vet considered trying a course of fibreplex to see whether that helps to firm up the poos somewhat? Older and frail guinea pigs can however experience a tender digestion with problems. Cutting out root veg and grains (including sweet corn) in fresh food and grain-free pellets may also help towards stabilising things a bit more.
I have an electric heat pad that l put under the vet bed which provides gentle heat and gorgeous guineas foot cream is excellent. Soaking sore feet in dilute hibiscrub before applying the cream can be helpful also but be guided by your vet.

Thank you I’m not giving her veggies but am giving critical care for the vitamins. What exactly is vetbed? As far as fibreflex the vet says she’s basically lost most of her control of her bowels so not sure that would help I️ am also giving her bio sponge. My main challenge is trying to keep her feel clean to prevent worsening of the infection

I found some excellent Guinea pig calming songs to play on uTube. They range in length from 30 minutes to 8 hours. They really helped calmed my sick piggy (and my other anxious piggy). Might give it a try. I chose the 8 hour versions and played them at night and when I needed to give medications, clean up, or otherwise do maintenance that could cause stress. It helped mine tremendously.

I found some excellent Guinea pig calming songs to play on uTube. They range in length from 30 minutes to 8 hours. They really helped calmed my sick piggy (and my other anxious piggy). Might give it a try. I chose the 8 hour versions and played them at night and when I needed to give medications, clean up, or otherwise do maintenance that could cause stress. It helped mine tremendously.
Thank you I️ will definitely try that!

Thank you I’m not giving her veggies but am giving critical care for the vitamins. What exactly is vetbed? As far as fibreflex the vet says she’s basically lost most of her control of her bowels so not sure that would help I️ am also giving her bio sponge. My main challenge is trying to keep her feel clean to prevent worsening of the infection
Vet bed is a fleecy type bedding with waterproof backing that allows urine to get through but piggy stays dry. Lots of on line stores have it you can get various sizes. Get 3 pieces so you always have a dry piece.

Vetbed is a soft type of washable bedding; thicker and softer than fleece. You should find suppliers when googling online. This to help with the pressure/sores on your piggy's foot pads to help prevent full-out bumblefoot/pododermatitis.

Vetbed is a soft type of washable bedding; thicker and softer than fleece. You should find suppliers when googling online. This to help with the pressure/sores on your piggy's foot pads to help prevent full-out bumblefoot/pododermatitis.
Thank you I️ have ordered the vetbed, does anyone have a suggestion for how to wrap the foot after application of antibiotic ointment? Because she has loose stools her feet are always dirty and I️ want to keep the wounds clean

Thank you I️ have ordered the vetbed, does anyone have a suggestion for how to wrap the foot after application of antibiotic ointment? Because she has loose stools her feet are always dirty and I️ want to keep the wounds clean

Guinea pigs are ever so good at getting rid of things, so unless you ask a vet nurse to show you how to bandage a leg properly, there is unfortunately very little you can do apart from changing the bedding area as often as possible.

Soaking the feet in Epsom salts might help with the sores as well. It is often the treatment for mild bumble foot.
Sending you healing vibes for you little girl Cinnamon.

Hi again another question which unfortunately I️ forgot to ask vet, she said that cinnamons anal area was swollen due to all the stool stuck in there since she’s lost mobility. Does anyone know if there’s a way to get that out? Seems to me that diarrhea might be what’s sleeping around the retained stool
Guinea pigs are ever so good at getting rid of things, so unless you ask a vet nurse to show you how to bandage a leg properly, there is unfortunately very little you can do apart from changing the bedding area as often as possible.
namons

5A4F2919-283A-4ED0-B0D4-D836D38A806B.webp Hi all this pic may be a bit too much but I’m concerned. Please see above posts regarding my little cinnamon. She’s having diarrhea from the Baytril so has to be bathed frequently. She has a very swollen anal area but today I️ noticed this light pink tissue protruding from it does anyone know what this is?

4E405419-B79D-4800-B489-574F13098B84.webp I’m not sure how this works when I️ add to my post and want to be sure it’s seen. My prior post is “Help with comfort care for sick guinea pig” today I️ noticed this (explained in post) and want to know if anyone knows what this is

Sorry to hear she is poorly.

i would get her to a vet to get that looked at. Is she still on pain meds? Does she still have wet poo or Diarrhea? Why is she on baytril? Would the vet consider switching to another AB that wont upset her tummy perhaps?

Tagging in @Wiebke @furryfriends (TEAS) @helen105281 @Freela @Jaycey @Elwickcavies as i have never seen this before

View attachment 76271 I’m not sure how this works when I️ add to my post and want to be sure it’s seen. My prior post is “Help with comfort care for sick guinea pig” today I️ noticed this (explained in post) and want to know if anyone knows what this is

This is something a vet needs to see.

Thank you everyone she is on Baytril due to her foot infections which are much better and she has just finished the course of antibiotics. As I’ve said earlier she is on “hospice” care now per the vet. I️ did leave a message for my vet tho who won’t be back until Tuesday yes I give her Metacam whenever she appears uncomfortable which sometimes happens when she poops often I️ give I.T daily so she isn’t in any pain, her bones are very fragile now. I️ thought the pink protrusion might be uterus and was just hoping someone here had seen this

If she has lost use of her muscles in her rear then it could possibly be something protruding as the muscles are no longer holding it in place. One of my boars had a lot of muscle loss in that area and his penis used to hang out.

You'll need to see the vet to see if there's anything that can be done. They may suggest simply keeping it clean, or using a barrier cream or determine if they is any surgery they can do to put it back where it belongs.

I'd definitely add in some sort of probiotic after her meds. And also see if you can change the antibiotic to something that's less likely to cause digestive upset.

If she has lost use of her muscles in her rear then it could possibly be something protruding as the muscles are no longer holding it in place. One of my boars had a lot of muscle loss in that area and his penis used to hang out.

You'll need to see the vet to see if there's anything that can be done. They may suggest simply keeping it clean, or using a barrier cream or determine if they is any surgery they can do to put it back where it belongs.

I'd definitely add in some sort of probiotic after her meds. And also see if you can change the antibiotic to something that's less likely to cause digestive upset.

Thank you fortunately she just finished the course of Baytril and I️ agree that it’s most likely the loss of muscle function in the rear. She wouldn’t survive surgery so that won’t be an option. She has fought back from illnesses multiple times but I️ know she won’t really get any better, my heart is broken just don’t want her to suffer

Back