• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Help With Fighting Boars...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazelmuir

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all this has probably been said before, but i keep reading mixed messages.

My two non neutured males are about 5/6 months old. I have had them both since just before xmas, recently they have started fighting i assume for dominance no blood has been drawn but they are attacking each other that sawdust goes flying. Not sure if i should seperate them or let them sort out who is boss.

Hi and welcome!

Boars are going through a hormonal stage during pre-adolescence; it lasts roughly from 4-14 months of age, with spikes especially around 4 and 6 months of age and then a very tricky phase again typically roughly between 8-10 months. It generally starts when the testicles descend and the boars develop their adult identities. During this time, it can come to clashes and fall-outs if both boys are too dominant and their adult personalities don't gel. By about 15 months of age, boars reach a hormonally much more settled adulthood.

As long as there are no bites, I would let them get on for the moment, but have a very close eye on them. Please make sure that you have got alternatives ready if it comes to a fall-out. Make sure that you have got as much space for the boys as possible and that the boys have everything in twos, each same item spaced well away from the other, hideys, bowls and water bottles, as well as hay racks.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/boars-a-guide-to-successful-companionship.76162/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/dominance-behaviours-in-guinea-pigs.28949/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/introducing-and-re-introducing-guinea-pigs.38562/

Thanks for that. They have one house to hide in at the moment one pig isnt allowed to enter but ill get another so he can hide some where. Hopefully they settle and can live peacefully again.

Thanks for that. They have one house to hide in at the moment one pig isnt allowed to enter but ill get another so he can hide some where. Hopefully they settle and can live peacefully again.

Fingers firmly crossed! But peace is going to be a bit scarce on the ground for your boys during the next few months. :(

How big is their cage? Recommend a minimum of 2x5 ft, ideally more for two young boars, so they can really get away from each other. Also make sure that each boy has his own food bowl and rather serve smaller portions of veg and pellets so no boy can get possessive over the food.
I would strongly recommend to think about what you do in case things go haywire.

Could you please add your country, state or (for the UK) your county to your details, so we can adapt any advice and recommendations to what is available/possible for you. We have got members from all over the world. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thanks!

People shouldn't sell boars in pairs imo, the chances are so high they'll fall out.

People shouldn't sell boars in pairs imo, the chances are so high they'll fall out.

Boars should also not be forced to live alone without at least a next door neighbour for interaction! However, by selling babies for looks rather than character compatibility, the chances of a fall-out are considerably increased, especially as same age youngsters have to go through it all together. :(

The cage i have is the standard one i was recommended its 95 x57 cm. Think ill need to buy a bigger cage. I have limited floor space was wondering if a two tier cage would be any good? I know pigs arent the best of climbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back