• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help With Ovarian Cysts Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

PingandChipy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a 4 1/2 year old guinea pig named Bunty and I'm almost positive she has ovarian cysts. I did a search for information but I am still confused as to where she should be spayed or not.

Her symptoms are: balding sides by her tummy, sparse and lackluster hair all over. Crusty, swollen nipples and is always jumping on her sister's back. Is there any treatment she could try that would not require surgery. I'm very nervous to put her through being spayed.

Thank you so much for your help.

It is the classic signs of ovarian cysts. There are thankfully now alternative options other than a full spaying operation on an older sow.

You can either look at draining the cyst or hormonal treatments, like chorulon. Both may have to be repeated, but they are a lot less invasive and don't require a full GA (general anaesthesia).

Best way to look at options is go to a good experienced vet and see what they recommend. I had one of mine spayed in the summer due to ovarian cysts and she was 4 at the time and has had no problem recovering although I know a GA is risky and each pig will react differently.

Hope you can get her sorted, those do look like common signs of ovarian cysts that Bunty has.

My Ellie showed none of those, no hormonal days, hair loss, crusty nipples etc but Ellie did have problems with recurring UTI's & then bleeding, sometimes quite badly, i could never seem to pinpoint the exact source of the bleeding, but it seemed to be when she pooped as opposed to wee'd just before i got her sorted.
She was diagnosed with an ovarian cyst approx the size of a walnut, this was picked up on a conscious ultrasound scan (not too expensive either) & then due to her age (at the time 6+yrs) she couldn't be spayed but had HCG (chorulon) injections instead 2 jabs approx 7-10 days apart. this was back in march 2014 & touch wood no bleeding since.
She was also generally her usual self although a little quieter than usual when she had the heavy bleeds.

here is Ellie's thread from last march, if its any help?
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...-cyst-maybe-stones-suggestions-please.112412/
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/ellies-not-herself.108118/

Fingers & paws crossed for your little Bunty's speedy recovery :tu:

from the girls & i. xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back