• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maisy and Poppy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sorry, if this is in the wrong section but I am going to a friends house and have to persuade her Mum to bring piggys and their indoor cage. Any ideas?
Also going to someone's house where 2 children have lost interest with thier piggys. Think they are outside. Going to recommend :
Bring them in
C and c cages
This forum and will bring my piggys to show how tame and healthy they are.
Any other ideas?

Last edited:
It's always difficult when you go to visit someone who has guinea pigs and isn't looking after them as well as you'd like. I'm afraid you're going to have to be very tactful.

I agree - making them aware of this forum good be a good idea. Do you have any copies of guinea pig magazine ? It would be worth taking them with you if you have.

It's a hard one and sadly some people just don't see why piggies can't be outside. Obviously they can if the proper care is taken to make sure their environment is insulated, but in this case I don't think thats been done. I hope that you can convince them, if now perhaps give them tips on how to keep the piggies warm out? :)

In warmer months piggies being outside in a hutch is nothing to criticise owners about at all, this is fine. It is when the piggies are kept outside during winter, this is very concerning.
Please show them that bringing them indoors will make them more interactive, and they are much likelier to see illness. Piggies can get respiratory problems from being outdoors when it has been wet and damp.
Good luck convincing them,

Was it today that you went to see your friend? How did you get on?

Hi going to see piggys today and I hope everything goes well. Sorry I wasn't on the forum for a few days.

They replied and it is raining heavily and piggys are outside with no shed or garage so I am going on Saturday.

To be fair.. If you put a cover over your huctxh a water proof wind resistant cover I don't see the problem. Also if you make sure there's insulating under that cover too. Not everyone wants to bring piggies in, or don't have room in a shed or garage. You need to give them idea for outside too. Ask if they have an insulated hutch, or if the cover is insulated?! Also tell them about giving them plenty of blankets and hidey holes too so they can get all snug in them. And barrel loads of hay obviously.

In an idea world yeah having pigs inside is the best, however you have to aprechiate that not everyone can. Piggies do live outside naturally anyway. Although its colder here in winter loads of people house pigs outside in hutches during winter with no bad effects.

Oh I forgot to add. As for children, they loose interest easily. I don't think there's much you can do about that... If they have lost interest they've lost interest. Maybe it will pick back up in summer if they have a run for them? And they can see them running around but kids have fazes of being really into something then just not being into it at all

@PiggyOwner
I went to thier house and piggys were outside in a 2 storey hutch about 100cm ish long witha thermal hutch cover and heat pad. Bedding was shavings and hay, I recommended aubiose or fitch. Piggys were in run on wet grass! Even though they had piggys since September they are terrified of humans! They were long haired so I explained they needed daily grooming as had never been groomed in thier lives! One guinea pig had been bought with everything, other was much younger and had been bought from pets@home. Children showed 0% interest and even when thier Mum said that they will have to go to a new home they still didn't react! They didn't want to join forum as piggys were for kids and couldn't bring piggys inside as Hubbie might be allergic! Might have 2 new piggys soon. They were on pets@home guinea pig museli so I recommended IC diet and pellets. Owner was suprised when I put loads of hay in as she put a thin layer just over shavings.

@PiggyOwner
I went to thier house and piggys were outside in a 2 storey hutch about 100cm ish long witha thermal hutch cover and heat pad. Bedding was shavings and hay, I recommended aubiose or fitch. Piggys were in run on wet grass! Even though they had piggys since September they are terrified of humans! They were long haired so I explained they needed daily grooming as had never been groomed in thier lives! One guinea pig had been bought with everything, other was much younger and had been bought from pets@home. Children showed 0% interest and even when thier Mum said that they will have to go to a new home they still didn't react! They didn't want to join forum as piggys were for kids and couldn't bring piggys inside as Hubbie might be allergic! Might have 2 new piggys soon. They were on pets@home guinea pig museli so I recommended IC diet and pellets. Owner was suprised when I put loads of hay in as she put a thin layer just over shavings.

it sounds like you have been very tactful so, well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back