• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmadale

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi...I'm new to this....but not pigs!. I currently have 4 piggies, all boars. We had 2 for a year then introduced the other 2. Things have been absolutely fine for 5/6 months but suddenly it looks as though 1 of the young ones is bullying the older one. It started with chattering etc but when I took bertie from the cage last week he had scratches and this week there's a lot more! I've got quite a big cage sof ivery tried:-
1....Boredom breaking toys
2....Plenty of nooks and pods
3....Two water bots and bowls
4....Plenty of food
5....Splitting them (I can separate part of the cage) for few hrs...the naughty one and his companion....and then overnight
6....Cleaning out cage to clear scent.....as well as clearing naughty boys scent but leaving bullied ones around by before reopening the cage, cleaning the pt the naughty ones been in and not the other

If anyone has any other ideas please please help....it would kill me to lose one
Thank u

Hi and welcome!

Sadly boar quartets are the most unstable of boar combinations. Boars either work in pairs or then in large bachelor herds with lots of space to ge away from each other, but not in small groups.

Unless you have a disabled/carer companions set-up or an elderlies boar group where the testosterone output is minimal, quartets unfortunately never last more than a few months at the best. They certainly don't survive the hormonal teenage months. At the worst you end up with four single boars that won't go back together, most often with one pair and two singles or, if you are lucky, with two stable pairs. We have seen everything on here over the years!

It would be wisest to see whether you can split your boys permanently in such a way that you have ideally two pairs that get on with each other and don't feud or bully. If you can do that, you will at least avoid ending up with single boars. ;)

You may find this very detailed guide here helpful as it has lots of tips and information that would by far exceed this post: Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Thank you so much...I'll look into that...it's just good to know I have somewhere to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back