• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

help!

BobaTheGuineaPiglet

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My GP injured himself! His fingernail got caught in something and now it’s bleeding. What should I do!?

I am so sorry! :(
Sending hugs and healing vibes your way. xx
I am unsure of what to do for you, but I am sure someone will be around to help soon.

Did the bleeding stop fairly quick? Has the nail come off? As long as it stops and there is no redness or swelling you should be fine but keep an eye on it for signs of pain or infection. If worried then pop to the vet to get it checked over

Oh dear please don't panic, torn nails do bleed a lot though! If the bleeding stops and the nail has come off completely it should be ok, just watch out for infection as @Lady Kelly says. But if the nail is half hanging off or still bleeding after a few hours you should call the vet.
Our bigpig Clover tore a nail, we rushed her to the vet because there was blood all over her face and all over the cage, but it was just an injured toe bleeding a lot! The vet removed the hanging off nail and used a special wound dressing with collagen in to stop the bleeding then gave her some loxicom pain relief, it helped a lot, but probably isnt strictly necessary if you would struggle to access a vet right now x

My GP injured himself! His fingernail got caught in something and now it’s bleeding. What should I do!?

Hi!

The bleeding should stop within about 10-15 minutes. Just try to soak up the blood with some kitchen paper and use styptic powder, flour or cornflour to try and stem the bleeding.

Contact your vet/an out of hours vet if the bleeding continues, either fully or as a steady slow trickle of fresh blood. Any continued/sustained bleeding counts as an emergency - thankfully this is only very rarely necessary as in the vast number of cases where the quick has been nicked the bleeding will stop on its own.

Sorry about this - I understand how frightening it is for you.
When she was a baby Jemimah did the same thing.
A few minutes later the bleeding had stopped and she off on her next adventure.
I had a ruined tee shirt, more grey hairs and a mat with little bloody paw prints.
Hope you are feeling calmer now

Nails do bleed a lot when the quick is torn... you can try to apply some light pressure with a paper towel or use a styptic powder of ever plain old kitchen flour to help it to clot, though it will stop on its own and likely isn't as dire as it looks. If the nail is torn but still attached, it will need to be clipped off at the break so the piggie doesn't keep tearing it. If it has torn clean off already, you just need to keep an eye to make sure the site doesn't get infected (I've never had this happen and it's pretty unlikely, but just be aware.) Once one of my pigs tore a nail clean off where it met her foot (she got it caught in a wire ramp getting back into the cage.) It bled like crazy and I was in a major panic, but fortunately no lasting harm was done and the nail even grew back normally!

his finger pad is a bit swollen and slightly red. And his actually nail is black. I’m not sure if that’s cause for concern, or if that’s the natural healing process.

Back