Hemcore

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shark and Mel

Hi we are newbies to the forum.

We have just got our fizzies today and were wondering if anyone uses Hemcore on the floor of the hutch. We use it in the Bunsters litter trays and they don't have any problems and it has citronella which keeps the flies away.

Also has anyone used the Cambridge Cavy Trust ?

starshine

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I use a hemp bedding for mine called Aubiose. I have tried Hemcore but I found it a bit hard on their feet. I love Aubiose though and hate it when I have to use anything else. One of my piggies has severe allergies and all other beddings make him sneeze bless him!

Quite a lot of our members use the CCT - I am a member but I haven't been there as its too far away. I have had excellent phone advice though and they put me in touch with my nearest Rodentologist.

We'd love to hear more about you and your piggies too!

S

Shark and Mel

starshine said:
I use a hemp bedding for mine called Aubiose. I have tried Hemcore but I found it a bit hard on their feet. I love Aubiose though and hate it when I have to use anything else. One of my piggies has severe allergies and all other beddings make him sneeze bless him!

Quite a lot of our members use the CCT - I am a member but I haven't been there as its too far away. I have had excellent phone advice though and they put me in touch with my nearest Rodentologist.

Might use Megazorb then as that seems to have had a lot of good feedback, it's cheap and i can get it from where i get all my hay, feed and Hemcore.

That's good to know about the CCT. They are 5 Min's down the road from us.

K

kiraroo

where do you know that sells Megazorb shark and mel? I think we live close to each other and I cant find anywhere that sells it

S

Shark and Mel

kiraroo said:
where do you know that sells Megazorb shark and mel? I think we live close to each other and I cant find anywhere that sells it
I work over near Duxford and there is a country store 5 mins from work. I can pick Megazorb up for £6.09 a bag. I went there today to pickup half a bale of hay (£2.50) and 10kg's of SS for the bunsters.

They also do Readigrass for £9.90 for 20kg's.

H

hils78

I'm part way through a sack at the moment. I'm not convinced. It is very rough and the first time I used it I got splinters in my hands (& I got hands like a brick layers!). I have started to give it a spray of water which seems to soften it. Just a light mist. I noticed on the sack that it said that it needs activating with a sparay of water. It smells ok. I won't buy another sack for my main bedding because of it being quite rough. It is very good at keeping dry on the top layer and it has added citronella to keep flys away in the summer. I am trying to get away from using shavings but I have found that adding a few handfuls to the top layer of Hemcore really softens the texture.
More of a bedding for rabbits and obviously horses I think!

I give it **** as it is a good bedding but just a little on the rough side for guinea pigs.

G

guineapigpal

starshine said:

Kate.... do you dampen the Auboise as it suggests on the website? I noticed that it says about dampening the Hemcore too.... but just didn't fancy doing that today, especially as it is already a damp, cold and windy day here in the highlands... ::) ( Did anyone say..... "What's new?" ;D..... it's mainly damp, cold and windy in the highlands! ;))

starshine

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I don't dampen it - mine have never tried to eat it etc and I think dampening it is meant to discourage that.

I've used Aubiose for over 2 years now and it is the best I have found. I just scoop it out of the bale with a plastic tub and put it straight on the newspaper then add a corner of hay.

H

hils78

It says on the side of the sack that you need to sprinkle 1 gallon of water to every bale used to "activate the bed". Obviously you are not going to use 30 litres a go unless you have a horse or hundreds of pigs in a stable. My pigs have never tried to eat the stuff either.
The water does make the bed softer but certainly doesn't make the bed wet. I'm going to have a go at the Aubiose as suggested by Starshine I don't get on with the Megazorb I have on order- sounds great.
I have tracked down a chap who delivers food and bedding free of charge which includes Excel and Megazorb for lower than shop prices :D

G

guineapigpal

starshine said:
I don't dampen it - mine have never tried to eat it etc and I think dampening it is meant to discourage that.

I've used Aubiose for over 2 years now and it is the best I have found. I just scoop it out of the bale with a plastic tub and put it straight on the newspaper then add a corner of hay.
Thanks Kate... I'll have a look and see if anyone stocks it up here.... wouldn't mind giving it a try, as long as it's not as hard as the Hemcore! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.