• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Herb salad

Sally Newbie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi
I have bought some of the Natures Own Herb Salad (Sweet Green… Herb Salad - Nature's Own Pets). My guinea pigs adore it and I have been giving a small pinch mixed amongst their hay once or twice a day. Is there a limit on how much of this I should give in a week please? Is it an unhealthy snack or is it ok?

I would give no more than once a month. There are several high calcium things in there - parsley and dandelion. I’d possibly not give at all because of the alfalfa (Lucerne).

Wow, that's a shock. And there was me thinking it was healthy. Just a pinch once a month?

You could but I’d avoid because of the alfalfa.

@Siikibam , I don't think that is listed as an ingredient - peas, carrots, beetroot, parsley, lucerne, mint, dandelion, st. johns, bread, marigolds, melissa, red clover?

:agr:
lucerne is indeed the other name for alfalfa.
a small amount infrequently is fine but due to the alfalfa I wouldn’t give it often. Particularly if the pellets you feed list alfalfa/Lucerne as an ingredient.

there is a really great company run by a member of this forum called Piggy Parcels. She sells a wide and fantastic range of piggy safe dried forage. I give my boys some of this forage every day mixed in with their hay.

Wow, it's just a shock to think that a pinch of something that I thought was a good snack is so bad. I will definitely check out Piggy Parcels. @Piggies&buns , which one do you buy that you give every day?

Wow, it's just a shock to think that a pinch of something that I thought was a good snack is so bad. I will definitely check out Piggy Parcels. @Piggies&buns , which one do you buy that you give every day?

It’s just that you want to use high calcium items sparingly. Don’t think of it as bad, but think of it as a treat.

I buy a variety of forages from piggy parcels - sometimes I buy them as a pack so I get a mixture of bags at a time and sometimes I buy them as single bags and pick the ones I know they like or something new to try. They won’t necessarily get the same one everyday but they will get some forage every day - green oat, dandelion, apple leaves, dandelion root, plantain are just some of their favourites. I occasionally buy the dried carrot, apple, parsnip a d beetroot but they are used more infrequently and sparingly due to them being higher in sugars.

I use Piggy Parcels too, my lot love it! They get a handful mixed into their hay last thing at night so that they can forage until morning and I think it’s one of the many highlights of their day! Beautifully packaged too so much so, I wish she could something similar for us humans.

@Piggies&buns I am going to buy a pack. I only want to buy bags of stuff I can give daily (as I obviously have this Natures Own Treat Bag that I can only give monthly). Looking at making up a Medium Own Piggie Parcel. Can I give the following daily:
Green Oat
Dandelion
Coriander Stalks
Parsnip
Marigold
Flower Blend
Dandelion Root
If not, can you suggest some alternatives for me please?

Any of those leaves/herbs are fine to give daily. Mine like all the leaves and I give them a small amount of them each day - whether its all one kind or a smaller amount of several, just depends on how much ive got left and how much variety i fancy giving them that day.
favourites for my boys include the birch, plantain, nettle, the strawberry and raspberry leaves, green oat, dandelion. They love the dandelion root! The cucumber is a firm favourite too.
The dried chunks of parsnip (there is also a carrot, apple as well) I give infrequently but I do still give them.
Mine didn’t like the flowers/marigold though but yours might!

It’s just that you want to use high calcium items sparingly. Don’t think of it as bad, but think of it as a treat.

I buy a variety of forages from piggy parcels - sometimes I buy them as a pack so I get a mixture of bags at a time and sometimes I buy them as single bags and pick the ones I know they like or something new to try. They won’t necessarily get the same one everyday but they will get some forage every day - green oat, dandelion, apple leaves, dandelion root, plantain are just some of their favourites. I occasionally buy the dried carrot, apple, parsnip a d beetroot but they are used more infrequently and sparingly due to them being higher in sugars.
who does the piggy parcels please? i have seen them before but can't think who does them...

Can I give some of the parsley bag every day? And how much should i give each day - just a pinch scattered or a bit more?

Back